Sunday, February 17, 2013

 

Sunday Reflection: "Ask, and you shall receive."


When I was very young, maybe in first grade, my mom took me to a science fair held at the Grosse Pointe Unitarian Church (pictured above). It was fascinating to me, and nothing caught my attention more than a box of rocks that had come from a volcano. They were black, light, and rough to the touch. I didn't play with them or anything-- just held it and marveled. They were for sale for 20 cents each, and my mom asked if I wanted one. I said no, I didn't.

That answer wasn't true at all.


we were halfway back to our house when my mom heard me crying in the back seat. I really wanted that rock.

Poor Mom! She had offered to get me a rock, but I had said no, because I thought she didn't really want to spend the money. I not only didn't ask for what I wanted, but I didn't accept it when offered... and instead of making my mom happy with my sacrifice, I left her confused and probably a little frustrated.

I still do that, sometimes, and it still doesn't work. I'm a slow learner.

My problem with "ask and you shall receive" is it is sometimes used to reverse the role of God and Man; that is, it makes us expect God to be our servant. We ask him for something, and he hops right to it! That is inconsistent with much of the rest of Christianity, and with the nature of God, however conceived, at a very basic level.

But, maybe, the better lesson is that if we want to receive, we do need to ask? It might be that the very act of stating an expectation will make us rethink it...

Comments:
This unearthed a memory: a song from summer camp we learned as kids.

Seek and ye shall find
Knock and the door shall be opened
Ask and it shall be given
And the love comes a tumblin' down.

Maybe love has something to do with it, too: when we tell someone else, or God, what we really want, we share our true heart.
 
I think you should have accepted your mom's offer to buy you the stone. I like to offer things a lot more than I like to ask for things. When I offer something I hope the other person would be happy with my offer and whether they take it, refuse it out of politeness or simply because they don't need it I still feel good for having offered it. The chance of something I ask for be actually given to me does not make up for the possibility of something I ask for not being available or being available but not for me to have... an all around everybody feeling bad, awkward or both. In fact I hate asking for anything even when I really need it or want it so bad it hurts. Also I do not believe in God the interventionist that grants people what they ask of him.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#