Wednesday, February 06, 2013

 

On Ritual

Today at noon I'll be having yet another religious battle royal with Susan Stabile, this time with the addition of Chato Hazelbaker (details here). Our topic is going to be the role of ritual in faith.

I'm somewhat torn on this one. The role of ritual is one thing that has drawn me to the Episcopal church, but I have mixed feeling on that. I draw deep meaning and connection from the Eucharist, but too often ritual becomes rote-- unthinking repetition. I've raised this before relating to the recitation of creeds, but there is a broader problem as well. The Christian faith should challenge us, trouble our easy answers, and there is a tension between that imperative and the easy sameness that ritual can provide.

Come see the fireworks!

Comments:
I feel challenged by my faith constantly. On Sunday mornings I find great strength and renewal in the liturgy and ritual of the service. I did not grow up in the Episcopal Church but I have attended the church for nearly 25 years. I love that we have a Eucharist sevice every week...it brings me close to God and slows down a difficult and hectic world, at least for a couple of moments. Rituals give people a time to think and sort things out in difficult times. For example many communities have specific rituals upon the death of a member...food, visitations, funerals etc. Falling into these rituals often gives the other members the breathing room they need to deal with the death.
On the other hand, certainly rituals can become a burden if they inhibit us from recognizing that there may be better or different ways to do things. Some people become so entrenched in the ritual that they cannot see any arguements for change...the controversies surrounding any change to the Book of Common Prayer is a good example. Like so many things in life there is good...and bad.
 
You and jdu say it well.

Part of the reason for ritual, of course, was that for hundreds of years, many churchgoers could not read.

As a "Cradle Episcopalian," and the son of a man who hates change in any form, I clung to Rite I in the Episcopal Book of Common Prayer for a long time. And I prefer the language from the much missed 1926 Prayer Book. Even so, I have come to enjoy the fact that we have so many choices in the Book of Common Prayer. The two Rites and the many variations on Rite II keep each one a little more fresh.

 
You know I like ritual, but what I also like is that the church has seasons, so the sameness gets tweaked.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#