Monday, January 14, 2013

 

The winner: Ann Sorenson!

This week's winner is Ann Sorenson, who won for this entry:

Sweet scalloped tomatoes,
Tossed with white bread:
I sit until tomorrow morn.


What I like about her poem is that I can just see that horrible dish, made from two things I really don't like. I've had a lifelong aversion to tomatoes for reasons I can't quite explain, and except for a very rare (and strangely pleasant) encounter with bruschetta, I have managed to avoid them.

Ann Sorenson, as a long-time Minnesota resident, has not been so lucky. Every summer she is deluged with tomatoes from neighbors and co-workers, and has resorted to tossing them at random out her office window. Unknown to her, though, is that the result looks highly mysterious and unfortunate. Eventually, thousands of grackles appeared to eat the pile of red mess, and that is how the grackles first came to Edina...


Comments:
Congratulations to my good friend,Ann! My brother Rocky only had one dish he disdained...the one you described.
 
What are scalloped tomatoes?
 
I think scalloped tomatoes are canned tomatoes mixed with either cracker crumbs or white bread and then heated on the stove. Fairly disgusting,as Ann discloses. My mother made them,because my dad's mother did. I can't remember her actually ever eating them,however.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#