Wednesday, January 23, 2013

 

Plus, I hear the food is great!


This past weekend I killed some time with friends noodling around on-line looking at rental apartments in Rome. It appears that accommodations in Italy have some very unusual touches and details:

1) This apartment looks charming, but I wonder about the "cot with linen and pillow suffocation and a high chair." I'm pretty sure I won't be needing a high chair, and one my goals for the year as a whole is to avoid being murdered.

2) Hmmm... I'm always cautious once people start giving names to rooms: "In details: there is a drawing room (HALL OF BOOK) with a single sofa bed, one more drawing room (PHOTO’S ROOM) with a Queen sized bed, one bedroom (FISH’S ROOM) with a double bed and one more bedroom (ARABIC ROOM) with a double bed and a double sofa bed in a slightly (but not completely)." I'm willing to forget those issues, though, given what we find listed under "amenities": "In the living room there is a fun control."

Really? A fun control? I hope this one goes to 11!

3) Well, at least the owner of this flat was honest in noting that "the ensemble of the quarter which glamour is in the "poor"architecture of its houses."

So, which should I pick? Is it more important to go for poor architecture, enjoy a fun control, or have ready access to pillow suffocation? Any advice?

Comments:
#3 may be honest about the poor architecture but super loose with the term “very near” when putting together its vicinity to San Callisto Square and Fontana di Trevi. Makes you wonder what else did he take liberties with…hot water, perhaps? #2 looks awkward, maybe because the furniture doesn’t fit the space, but Via Garibaldi is great because you’re really close (and I mean it) to Ponte Sisto which is the best bridge to take to the “other side” where all the typical Roman attractions are, plus the fun control should be super useful when the summer tourist hordes push you a little too close to the edge. #1 looks best to me personally, not just because of the name of the street: Via Della Luce, but because the street goes to one of my favorite churches in Rome and to Via Porta Portese, the best flea market in town. For you it could also be the best… it looks spacious and the pillow suffocation may come in handy with unruly guests.
 
Your problem lies in deciding to rent a flat and not a villa. Notify me immediately should you decide on the latter and I will spring for all the pasta and violins and volunteer to hang up the wet clothing,should you decide to frolic in the fountain. If I'm going to Italy,I want to see old things. New things I can see in America,should I ever have that need. Plastered peachyellow walls and candlesticks and vineyards out the window.
 
I don't know where you should live, but you definitely need to get one of those little scooters to ride around on.
 
Do any of them have internet access?

 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#