Saturday, January 05, 2013

 

Mantle Jumping Aftermath


Yesterday, IPLawGuy made a reference to "Mantle Jumping," something that we used to do in college. Long story short, you jumped off a mantle. The idea, infrequently realized, was that people would catch you.

There were a lot of things that didn't make sense at William and Mary, looking back at it. For example, the photo above is from "Beach Week," which was the week between finals and graduation in the Spring, when people would decamp to Nag's Head, North Carolina (which was virtually empty at that time except for us) and go to the beach and dance and, uh, maybe do some mantle jumping.

There are some things I wonder about with this photo:

1) It looks like I have a black eye. Hmmm. Maybe that was from mantle jumping?

2) I'm wearing just a pair of shorts, but the girl I'm sitting with (Janet McNulty) is wearing a quite fetching but very modest sailor outfit. Did I not get the memo?

3) I'd disparage my hair at that time, if it wasn't looking pretty much like that right now.

Comments:
It is her smile that is as 'fetching' - couple that with the destination intended of your right hand and I ponder what thoughts were 'turning' beneath your un-coiffed locks. . .

Never disparage! In college, I had a most 'sassy' Afro - those were the days. . .
 
Dad should paint this. I love this photograph. And don't try to get me to compliment your hair again! Your hair looks good...but remember I am an Edwardian on the cusp of Victorian,who is a refugee from The Sixties. I think men look naked without long hair,and people who are intentionally bald scare me.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#