Tuesday, December 18, 2012

 

Newtown, Aspergers, and Truth



There is still so much that we don't know about the terrible tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut, and some of what we thought we knew (including the identity of the shooter, the number of people killed, and whether or not the shooter's mother worked at the school) turned out to be wrong.

One persistent part of current speculation is that the shooter had Asperger's Syndrome, a form of autism where people don't process social cues the same way others do (among other symptoms). As far as I know, this is only speculation, and at any rate there is no link between Asperger's and murder. The danger, of course, is that the simple reaction to such a detail is that people will fear those who have Asperger's.

Simple is rarely right in anything but love.

Only a few weeks ago, my long-time friend Ron Fournier wrote a wonderful, compelling piece about his son with Asperger's. You can, and should, read it here. When I first read the piece, I thought it was remarkable in the way it brought out one of President George W. Bush's greatest strengths: empathy and human connection.

Now though, in the light of the Newtown massacre and the speculations about Asperger's, I think the most important thing about Ron's widely-read piece is its role as a counterweight against the assumptions people are tempted to make.

Ron's son, Tyler, is suddenly important to me as I think about Newtown, about the family from which this tragedy sprang. It is never one thing, never, that leads to a grand victory or the most horrible tragedy, and each of those elements, known and unknown, can be a part of a very different story when mixed in a different brew. It's complex. Love, though, can be simple, and that is the beauty of Ron's story.

Comments:
Mark – spot on today…. We live in a reactionary society so when someone plants the seed or a notion it balloons beyond recognition.

There is no doubt in my mind that each and every child diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (encompassing Autism and Asperger’s) is unique and it does us all a great disservice to further pigeon hole people as potentially dangerous. And there is no doubt, having watched, that parenting a child with one of these disorders can be a full time job.
 
Thank you for this. I have read a number of articles linking autism with this crime. Even if Adam Lanza was autistic this has no more to do with the event that being blue-eyed or left-handed would be. BTW the World Health Organisation renamed it Autistic Spectrum Condition (instead of the more judgemental Autistic Spectrum Disorder) at least 6 years ago. It is a different way of being rather than something automatically wrong.
 
Nice post, Mark. It wasn't Aspergers that caused this tragedy. I also enjoyed the article -- one of my kids is on the autism spectrum, and our experience is very different from the author's, but it's always nice to read how others are dealing with it.
 
What an article!
 
Megan-- Ron and I were co-editors of the school paper when we were in high school. He worked hard to succeed, and has done some really remarkable things.
 
Mark - what a touching, remarkable story. I admire your friend's candor and hard earned love for his son. A great example of how parent and child relationships are so often informed by a complex weave of differing needs, differing aspirations, and differing personalities. I had a father that loved me dearly and did his very best to love and provide for me as best as he knew how … yet our shared frustration and pains were often informed by the mismatch of what he had to offer and what I needed. As I matured (and that took time!), and as we both became wiser in this regard, we worked it out. We all love as best as we know how; as a son, coming to that understanding, helped greatly to deepen my love and my appreciation for all my father did for me. And I hope it has helped in the dance of parenthood with my own daughters … what they need is not always what I have to offer … and yet I do my best to love them as best I know how. Love your son/daughter!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#