Wednesday, December 19, 2012

 

Interesting news!

As many of you know, I've been working for a while on some political issues, including my plan to use the Ford draft-evader commutations as a model for clemency for crack defendants and a lenient federal prosecution policy on marijuana in states where it has been legalized.

It appears that my work (and that of many others) has begun to bear some fruit!

1) Yesterday, I found a great press release on the web site of Congressman Bobby Scott of Virginia-- he and 21 other members of Congress sent a letter to the President explicitly endorsing my idea for a Ford-style clemency process. Academic scholarship at work!

2) On another clemency front, Dafna Linzer reports that there is additional pressure on the pardon attorney.

3) Finally, earlier this week President Obama signaled that, indeed, federal officials were not going to make a priority of the enforcement of marijuana laws in states that have legalized pot.



Comments:
Not to minimize what you are doing, because I think it's all great, but I can't help but appreciate on the various representatives' signatures in the clemency board letter.

What was Hank Johnson signing with? A sharpie magnum? And Sheila Jackson Lee took up about half the page...that's consistent with her reputation around Houston. I wonder how many of those were auto-penned?


 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#