Saturday, December 15, 2012

 

Grief and Words




Sometimes, like yesterday, I write from the gut, because I don't know what else to do. In the wake of the shootings at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, I think what so many of us felt was helpless. Not in the sense of physical vulnerability, but rather in the sense of being unable to do anything about gun violence generally.

So, I wrote, and what I pounded out (Newtown: The Indictment of The Ethic of Revenge) ended up on the front page of the Huffington Post and the Time Magazine website. When I wrote it, I thought it sounded angry, but reading it now I think it is more despairing than angry.

My favorite response (I needed a laugh, AND he was right) was this tweet from Randy Roberts Potts: "@Oslerguy I love yr piece, but I have to defend Star Wars. Def not abt revenge in any way shape or form; quite the opposite actually!"

I'm sure he is right-- I am but a padawan in the ways of Star Wars. It kind of reminds me of the time that my readers here took me to task for misspelling the name of the planet Corisant....

Comments:
It was definitely despairing, and not angry in the least.
 
Sad and broken hearts
At the least ours, for them more
Mothers, children gone.

I did not recognize you in that article, which shows your despair. These acts bring out questions, rage, confusion and fear. I pray we all find comfort as I doubt we will find answers.

"Lo, I am with you always. Even to the end of the world."

 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#