Monday, October 15, 2012

 

Haiku Winner: Ang!

So many great sport legends... and some pretty darn good haiku last week. My favorite, though, was this entry from Ang:

Jose Cruuuuuuuz at bat!
Happy times spent with my dad:
Go, Houston Astros!


It might seem artificial to turn "Cruz" into two syllables, but not if you ever heard that crowd! They did exactly that.

What Ang is not telling us is the real excitement that revolved around her in 1981, a year in which the Astros made the playoffs. The Astros won games one and two, but the third game, to be held in Houston, was threatened by the incipient arrival of Hurricane Lydia, a class-4 storm headed straight for Texas's largest city.

Seeing the danger the storm posed to her favorite sport, Ang was able to divert the storm through and ingenious system of ducts, flibberdigibits, and funiculars.

Because of the success of these efforts, Ang was given a key to the city in 1999 by Mayor Ralph Sampson.





Comments:
Congrats, Ang!

And, Mark, I'm no mathematician, but there are still only 5 syllables in that first line if Cruz only has one syllable. Jose, however, has two.
 
I love that Cruz. He was known as Cheo, too.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Sorry for the delayed response; I've been up to my eyeballs in work and a research paper. Thanks for picking my poem! I still love my Astros, even though everyone else in a 2-hour radius of Dallas seems to be die-hard Rangers fans. ;)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#