Friday, October 19, 2012

 

Haiku Friday: Autumn Memories


Traditionally, haiku often dealt with the seasons, and this is the right time to return to that tradition. In Minnesota, it is the heart of a real autumn-- a blanket of red and gold leaves, crisp air, and the unpacking of sweaters.

I think that fall, more than any other season, unlocks deep and meaningful memories, so let that be our topic for today. It can be from any fall of your life, about any event... just so long as it matters to you.

Here is mine:

New Haven Autumn
Stone buildings, red leaves, and dreams
My eyes wide open.

Now it is your turn-- just make it 5/7/5 for syllable count, and strive for the prize-- your bio here on Monday!

Comments:
Oh red maple tree!
High expression of autumn,
Announcing winter.
 
I miss autumn so
The sparky feeling of change
Soft comfort of home.
 
Autumn memory:
Osler's haiku's actually
a 5/7/4

 
Red-hot red, blazing
gold, flaming orange. Colors
I missed in Texas.

No real seasons in
my hometown. Just hot, more hot,
then chilly-damp there.

Now my world shows me
God’s glorious palette. How
the colors sparkle.

Fall brings beauty I
still marvel at. My friends
wonder why I gush.

They’ve had these treasures
for a lifetime. I am still
amazed, awed, thankful.

 
Here in L.A. town,
No Orange, Yellow, or Red.
Just blue sky, warm sun.
 
Thanks to all for your great Haikus!


 
That first cold daybreak
Leaves under my feet, I run
The sun through a mist.
 
I miss blazing leaves
Maybe we'll meet one day soon
As I drive homeward

(In your defense, I did much finger-tapping to check and your haiku is indeed a 5/7/5)
 
Red, yellow, orange
leaves, leaves, more leaves burying
my six-year-old leap
 
The geese are fleeing;
And honking others to hurry;
And what do they fear?

 
Ginko tree is bare,
The wind came at night.
Now ground is covered.
 
Plastic witches' mask
pillowcase full of goodness
sibling candy trades

 
Awaking to the
sounds of plastic scraping glass
go warm up the car.
 
Orchard first date stroll
Apple for my bride to be
Two hearts a flutter...

Vivid moments held
Difficult decisions made
hearts no longer one...


- though treasured memories as numerous as the leaves blanketing my lawn remain...
 
Innocence was ours
We could not see the future
Pink leaves in the park.
MMM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#