Sunday, September 30, 2012

 

Sunday Reflection: Faith and works

This morning, I will be off at Christ Episcopal Church in Woodbury, where Susan Stabile and I will be talking about faith and works.

It's always a little humbling to share a forum with Susan, no less so now that her great new book from the Oxford University Press is almost out-- it's called Growing in Love and Wisdom: Tibetan Buddhist Sources for Christian Meditiation, and reviewers love it.

It's a fascinating topic for us to address together, because Susan is much more evolved than I am in her faith-- there is a reason that she is such a wonderful spiritual director for so many of our students. My focus, in turn, has been on works.

Yet, I do find that though I focus on works, those works keep bringing me back to faith. Almost always, after an argument in court or a lecture at another school or a speech about an issue, there is this still, small moment where I feel moved to reflect. Almost always, it shifts me a little-- makes me realize that I don't know quite as much as I claim, or have not considered with adequate grace the views or humanity of those who oppose me. It is, I think, the voice of God, gently humbling yet loving.

That stillness is not in my nature. My instinct is to push it away. But... I am getting better.

To let that moment happen, to not fight it off... it is Susan who convinced me of that.

You can see Susan's reflections on our talk here.

Comments:
Having been born and raised in a family of faith (large ‘C’ Catholic and small ‘a’ Anglican), I often wonder if it is possible to never know or experience faith?

For many, I would assume, faith preceded works. Immersed in faith, an experience defining while awaiting discovery of self – experiencing works performed while awaiting opportunity given, a window to the first of many callings. “Come!”

Is not birth itself a similar introduction? New life begins to shroud us from our awakening before our eyes can see. Before discovery of self begins to unfold; our perception, our image, our visual appearance is being chronicled for us. A name is given, announcements are proclaimed, clothing covers our innocence and our presentation for acceptance precedes our arrival, our arrival of self.

In life, our hearts and minds are often steeled with safety of the known, experiences as defining while awaiting discovery of self – while awaiting opportunity to create one’s own destiny.

Life’s quest (acts), pulling at the safety of our known and drawing us to experience the unknown, calling us to wade further out beyond our comfort zone until separated from the security our perceived truths (faith) rest upon.

Separated from this world and welcomed aboard an existence untethered to our certainties, residing upon the crests and swells only he controls.

Truths are faith. As we set course, balance, harmony and inner peace is attained by letting go, by gently loosening the mooring lines of life and trusting the buoyancy of our faith. When we answer his call, He will be there for us, hand extended. “Come!”

“Yet, I do find that though I focus on works, those works keep bringing me back to faith. …where I feel moved to reflect. Almost always, it shifts me a little-- makes me realize that I don't know quite as much as I claim, or have not considered with adequate grace the views or humanity of those who oppose me. It is, I think, the voice of God, gently humbling yet loving.”

Hand extended. “Come!”
 
Can I still be 'New Christine' on the days when "Choose an identity' offers the box [Name]?

Now a Google E-account, help?!
 
You can be whoever you want! You are always welcome here.


 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#