Thursday, September 20, 2012

 

Political Mayhem Thursday: The Election is Gaffe-tastic!

First off, while we're talking politics, I'm looking forward to finally giving a lecture in a bar rather than to one. The group is called Drinking Liberally (it's unusual for me to speak to a liberal group, but they had me at "drinking," after the week I've had) and they meet tonight at 7 at the 331 Club. You can get the details here.

So, how about that Romney video where he talks about the 47% of the population (more or less) who don't pay income tax? He sure took it on the chin for that:



In response, the Romney camp pointed to President Obama's statement about some voters "clinging to their guns and religion"-- which, frankly, was a fair comparison.

The reason it's fair is because both were totally dumb but mostly true statements. The problem with both wasn't that they weren't true-- it's that the way they were said, taken in context, reveal contempt for the people they are talking about. For example, in the case of Obama's gaffe, the truth is that many Americans, myself included, turn to our faith in times of trouble. The statement was true. The problem is the verb "cling," which adds the tinge of contempt.

None of us like to be treated with contempt, and it is wrong for a public servant to do so.

This morning I went to get a cup of coffee at the Starbucks closest to work. I asked for a grande Veranda, and watched the barista grab a cup and head to the somewhat hidden place where the coffee carafes were. There were two carafes side-by-side, and one was marked "Veranda." However, another barista was using that one, so the woman serving me simply poured a cup from the other carafe (which had a different kind of coffee) and brought it to me without comment, assuming I couldn't tell the difference (I've had this happen a number of times at Starbucks, usually when they are out of what I want). It made me mad, because I was being treated with subtle, hidden contempt. It revealed, clearly, that the people who work there don't think much of their customers.

And that, in a nutshell, is why people are upset with the comments of both Gov. Romney and the President.

Meanwhile, I need to get in a better mood. Might this help?:



Comments:
I still can't get over how Romney made these remarks as waiters and busboys served him and his guests. They might as well have been chairs and tables. I just don't get that at all.
 
I find it interesting that Romney spoke at the RNC about his "hard-working" wife when she was staying at home with their kids. I think he might have even said that she was working harder than he was in those years. Now, she probably had income from investments, but I'm guessing most stay-at-home-parents don't. Food for thought.
 
I am not sure that we can assume that much about waiters and busboys. Back when I was a busboy working a banquet like that I am not at all sure I would have taken offense. It was my experience that waiters and busboys were not entirely monolithic.

BTW: I would encourage readers to watch the entire one hour on CSPAN. I predict it will reinforce whatever you thought before you watched it, but you will at least occupy the high moral ground of being super informed on the subject.
 
Allow me to add that I agree with Mark that the comparison between "bitter clingers" and "47-percenters" is fair, although much more problematic for Romney for a wide variety of reasons.
 
More important political news:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v52FLMOPSig&feature=player_embedded

This is the greatest campaign ad that has ever been made.

And yes, I don't know how to do hyper links on Blogger.
 
I agree with WF again that it is more problematic for Mitt Romney. Both statements are equal in that they were disparaging of a small group of the population. In that they were equally offensive.

President Obama continued on to say that those clinging to their guns and religion are not to be dismissed and are not the enemy. Mitt Romney dismisses 47% of the population and defines our enemy as the lazy and shiftless masses that are out to steal our opportunity to thrive.

I personally think that the combination of guns and religion, here and around the world is worth seriously talking about and more threatening than the threat from those unable to pay taxes.

Mitt Romney continues to define himself poorly, but accurately. In an appeal to his new, not so silent, 53% majority he is talking endlessly about his fear that our wealth will be REDISTRIBUTED by government. Unfortunately for Mitt that is what government does. It takes our taxes and redistributes it to soldiers scientists,students, etc. and some to those who need a hand up in hard times. This then, is the job he is running for. He could be the new " Chief Redistributor". Considering his statements he probably wouldn't be comfortable in the job.
Dad
 
Well, thanks to FB I had the opportunity to view the Romney speech 'ump-teen' times. Apparently, my distaste for politics at this time of year has me turning off political programming so I did not hear about the” clinging to guns and religion” comments made by President Obama and therefore don’t know the context in which the statement was made.
With regard to guns, adamant guns rights people do 'cling' to this issue. Disclaimer: I do not own a gun and do not wish to own a gun… I get removed from jury pools because I don't believe in the present interpretation of this 'right'. “Clingy” gun owners do not understand 'why' Joe average citizen really doesn't need an AK47 or semi-automatic with thousands of rounds of ammo. There are people whose professions do require this kind of weaponry and the ‘job’ provides them with the proper tools and training to use them appropriately and hopefully safely. But really, as a retired banker I don’t need to have such weaponry on hand – just because the Constitution says it is my right. And the average hunter really just needs the appropriate style firearm or bow and arrow to make it a 'fairer' contest with the animal they are trying to kill. They CLING to the Constitution and the fact it states they have the Right to Bear Arms. I am all in favor of arming bears…. Panda Bears, Baylor Bears, Chicago Bears…..
Clinging to religion… is a touchy topic for me… I know this is a fairly ‘religious/spiritual’ crowd here on the Razor. I would say none of you come across as ‘clingy’ with regard to your religious beliefs. If you did, I wouldn’t still be posting, participating and conversing with you all. The relationship you have with your church, your God, Buddha, or whatever is personal and a place you can turn to when you want to sort things out in your life that don’t make sense. But you also talk to people with differing opinions and listen while trying to move through an issue, life crisis or life in general. A person ‘clinging’ to their religion, to me, is someone who can listen only to the person on the pulpit, their interpretation of the Bible, Torah or Koran and is unwilling to factor in the reality of daily life. They are closed to the opinions of others who do not believe what they believe and find it hard to understand that not everyone thinks like them. They find it difficult to think outside the box.
Given this, I have less trouble with the statement made by the President than by Republican candidate Romney. A President has to care about all the citizens of this country, not just the ones who pay taxes or voted for him. As ‘Dad’ aptly tagged the position – “chief redistributor” ~ it is a big part of what the government is tasked with doing. And the President swears’ to uphold the Constitution and the current interpretations of said document. And sometimes that offends those ‘clinging’ to interpretations that were appropriate for the late 1700’s when it was written and less appropriate for our modern society.

 
This evening I was reminded that the Obama comment is from 4 years ago. This confirms why I did not recall it from recent news reports.

 
I would watch the thingy wingy on CSPAN but we don't have cable. I think it's Obama's fault.
 
@curessa. Your cable challenge sounds to me more like a holdover from the Bush administration. If not for the obstructionist GOP Congress, I am confident the President would have it fixed by now. No matter, it is surely one of the items of unfinished business on his agendy that will get nailed down during the next four years. Forward.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#