Sunday, July 01, 2012

 

Sunday Reflection: The Word

If you had to reduce the Christian faith to one word, what would it be?

Obedience?
Forgiveness?
Inability to make complex things simple?

For me, the word would be "humility." I think that the simple acknowledgement that there is a God is the start of it-- the idea that there is something greater than we are. Jesus, too, in nearly every lesson, taught humility and selflessness. Humility embodies his example, too, even to the point of accepting death.

What word would you choose?

Comments:
The pastor at my church, dismissing the idea that Christian faith is a set of beliefs which must be adopted, said the best translation of the Latin word "credo" is not "I believe" but "I give my heart."

Faith for me means giving my heart to a God who loves us more than we can possibly imagine, a love shown in Jesus, who calls us to love as we have been loved. To this I give my heart; credo.
 
Atonement
 
My first pick is: Mystery

My second is: Wonder
 
Unknown
 
All of those other things have their origin and end in humility.

Scott Davis
 
I believe it’s forgiveness, an unconditional forgiveness that we experience in the one-way love of God. That, for me , is “the old, old story of Jesus and his love.”

When Amish Christians demonstrated that one-way love in the aftermath of a tragic shooting inside a one-room schoolhouse, which resulted in the deaths of five Amish girls, the world was confounded: “We must not think evil of this man.” It seems clear to me that they were standing at the foot of the cross — the heart of Christianity.
 
I like Reconciliation. God to hummanity, person to person, interests groups, people groups, nations, nature with humanity, it all needs reconsiliation.

I like humility too. Clearly necessary for reonciliation.
 
I like Reconciliation. God to hummanity, person to person, interests groups, people groups, nations, nature with humanity, it all needs reconsiliation.

I like humility too. Clearly necessary for reonciliation.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#