Sunday, July 08, 2012

 

Sunday Reflection: Quiet


For about the next month, I am going to quiet my heart and my mind.

I am in a green valley between two hills of activity and thought. The last one, including two busy trips to DC, had me addressing four issues at the same time: Juvenile life without parole, the death penalty, federal commutations, and narcotics policy. Some of that work is still coming out-- including this piece with Jeanne Bishop, which ran on CNN on Friday. The next flurry, in the fall, will include (most importantly) teaching two classes, along with talking at Stanford (on abortion) and Valparaiso (on drug policy), doing the Trial of Christ in Virginia and California, and starting a very important project on commutation (which is still under wraps).

All of that, when I am in the midsts of it, engages my faith, and is about my faith. It's very active... and tiring.

For this month, though, I am going to be quiet and listen and hear God and others speak to me. There will be no one I need to convince or teach or debate.

To everything there is a season, after all.

Comments:
Thank you for this, Mark. I needed the encouragement to slow down during this brief interlude before things kick back into gear.
 
Could you float quietly down a creek,wearing a hat?
 
The Scriptures have so much to say about this. Why do I heed them so infrequently?
 
First, gotta love the Richmond Squirrels hat!

Second, love the CNN piece by you and Jeanne. On far too many issues these days, as you suggest, “neither side has made much effort to find a middle ground.” All too often, and certainly in Christian sense, the most compelling answers are those that represent a dynamic paradoxical weave of seeming opposites. I also loved your line, “the important questions are not the ones behind us, but the ones in front.” So very true … and unfortunately we too often get lost in the questions behind us.

Well done Mark and Jeanne.
 
Thanks, Craig! And, yeah, I'm representing for the Squirrels...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#