Wednesday, July 04, 2012

 

Quan Cosby = Good American


Happy Independence Day! This is one of my favorite holidays, because I am a true believer in the idea that it is a privilege to live in this remarkable country. We are a nation of individuals and grace, and today is a day to celebrate both.

One of my favorite Waco-area people is Quan Cosby, a receiver/returner for the Indianapolis Colts who was previously both a pro baseball player and a star for the Texas Longhorns (as shown above-- not that it isn't Quan who gets the penalty for "Excessive Celebration"). There are a lot of things to admire about Quan (i.e., his restraint in ordering at ridiculously good Mexican restaurants), but one of them is his work in and around his hometown of Mart, which is a small town near Waco.

Most recently, Quan hosted a free football camp in Mart (it's an annual event) and lured his new quarterback, Andrew Luck, down to help out. How exciting is that for kids in a place like Mart? He also took first-pick-overall Luck to visit some of his old friends who could use the help and encouragement.

Waco may be ungodly hot, suffer from poor air service, and forever be saddled with the Branch Davidians, but it does have a lot of people like Quan Cosby, and that may be more important than everything else.

Comments:
There is a lot of love here. I could go on and on, but just take a look around. It is evident. We care about our neighbors and we want them to know we do.
MMM
 
Love that last paragraph!
 
To the only place on Earth that still inspires dreams and incites desires to make them real! The other day on the subway I saw a woman completely enveloped in a black burqa, just a sliver of shining eyes and deft hands handling a restless baby. Need I say more?
I was born some place else, but the person I grew up to be was meant to become an American. And I did and I am and I'm proud. And to prove it, I knew I became an American when I got into a vehement argument with a snooty European defending none other than American junk food (I didn't win but I scored a few good punches)...even though I think junk food is the most evil American invention, in fact I have no idea why America ever bothered with wars and weapons of mass destruction, when unleashing the fried Twinkies would have done the job just fine.
Happy Independence Day!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#