Wednesday, June 13, 2012

 

This just in... from People Magazine


I'm pretty sure this is the first time I have ever linked to People Magazine, but Kim Parke tipped me off to this very intriguing story there. It appears that country singer Carrie Underwood has come out in favor of marriage equality, in a very public way:

Underwood says it's actually her faith that's led her to support gay marriage. "Above all, God wanted us to love others," the recent CMT award winner said.


Not that she saw it (who knows?) but that was the heart of my CNN piece a month ago. That piece is still being read-- it's up to 16,000 recommendations on facebook, 8,500 comments, and is still garnering some interesting (and often depressing) email. It's a very complex issue, but I am heartened by the conversation that is going on. A lot has come out of that short sermon at Holy Comforter in Richmond back in May!

Meanwhile, I got my evaluations back from my spring classes at St. Thomas, and really appreciated them. There was some wonderful encouragement there, and some good advice, too. For both criminal law and criminal practice, I am planning some changes for next year, based on the feedback I am hearing. My weakest skill as a teacher is probably testing, and I am particularly struggling with writing good multiple choice tests for big classes. I'm going to do some research on better ways to do that, or find an alternative, so that Criminal Law will not be dragged down by test questions that too often approximate what Gordon Davenport once (accurately) described as a variation of the Hobbit game of "Guess what's in my pocket?"

For Crim. Prac., I think I am jamming too many exercises into the semester, and will probably eliminate one to allow for more individual feedback on the others, which I am shortchanging right now.

I hope that I am becoming a better teacher, and will keep trying to improve. After all, teaching students is the heart of my vocation, and I want that to be as good as it can be. I owe my students that.

Comments:
"Above all, God wanted us to love others,"

Creo en Dios spoke to gratitude and trust this morning. May I suggest you take back a couple of your words ("...I owe...")?

It is your love of "others", especially your students, that nurtures your gratitude and humility as "listener" and an educator allowing you to trust in your God given gifts while continually seeking to give more of yourself - to them and to "others"!

You do not "owe" what you have already relinguished, given and continue to share - your life, through gratitude and trust in Him...
 
Mark, the common thread is hockey … clearly one of the more enlightened sports. As you know, Carrie’s husband plays for the Nashville Predators. If we all played hockey, had played hockey, or married hockey players the world would be a better, more inclusive, more loving place. Some might suggest this lacks a certain face validity … yet one cannot deny the power and the influence of this underlying theme to this story … and more importantly, to your work. I trust your hockey background informs your faith … and that it makes you a better teacher, a better father and a better home brewer (that is, if you were to start home brewing).
 
i wish the razor had a facebook-ish "like" button. i like everything about this post.
not entirely unrelated, but mostly unrelated, i wish facebook had a "dislike" button.
 
LIKE
 
CriagA, Like!, Like!!, Like!!!

May I borrow your hockey background influence phrase? Enlightened???

I'm a proud Canadian "Hockey brat" whose father played professionally for 22 years and grew up knowing and influenced by stories from "Hall of Fame" players from the Redwings, Black Hawks, Bruins, Canadiens, 1960 USA Olympic Gold Medal team and the beginning of the Russian "Red Army" invasion - Hockey, also has a great influence on one's golf game. Your references brings back fond memories...
 
craig, that's pure genius. go red wings.
 
CraigA: brilliant!

Can we have a bio of him for best comment?
 
Is it that life in general becomes more precious when you are in any way involved with razor sharp blades?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#