Sunday, June 03, 2012

 

Sunday Reflection: The saddest letter of all

Of the many letters I have received recently, this one is the saddest of all. Read the whole thing (the last paragraph is the heartbreak) and tell me what you think I should tell this person.


Prof. Osler,

I would say that I'm a pretty open person when it comes to the things we do as human beings. There are things that we do that are not pleasing to God or to our fellow man and then there are things that are just flat out wrong. In reading your blog I understand that you, like everyone else is entitled to an opinion. However, the bible clearly states that homosexuality is abomination. Not only is it abomination, God destroyed not one, but two cities because of it.

Now, we know that the scripture say's a lot about many other things and what is deemed sin and so forth. Yes, adultery is sin, killing, stealing etc. However, the sin of homosexuality is a sin that has a specific penalty for those who engage in the act and unlike adultery or the others, you're continually living in a state of sin. The very act of same sex marriage puts those who do it in a continual act of sin, thus pitting them against God, The Holy Spirit and Jesus.


Please read; GOD IS VERY CLEAR -- CRYSTAL CLEAR ABOUT THIS SUBJECT

Romans 1 18-28

I hope that your heart and mind will be enlightened and that as you grow and mature as a Christian you will see the full truth and NOT be lead astray by the winds of this time that we're living in. Be very aware of the fact that this is the time that many, many saints begin to fall away from the truths that God's word ministers to His people. The bible is also clear about that too;

Matt 24.

We are watching His words unfold before our eyes because when there is no repentance from sin, death and only death will take hold. And that's the difference. The gay world wants us to accept their sin. They want to be equals in terms of the benefits God gave man and woman. They want all the accolades and acceptances of a legitimate union, one that God created for a purpose. They want to accept parts of God's word, manipulate and discard the rest. But one thing that neither you or I or any court of human law can legitimatize is the gay position when it stands before the Lord.

Now, I don't hate or even judge those who live the lifestyle because I know based upon what the scripture says' that these things must happen for the Lord to come. The scripture makes reference to the Anti-Christ who according to the bible “Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers, nor the desire of women, nor regard any god: for he shall magnify himself above all” (Dan. 11:37). So, this isn't something strange to me and its not something that I accept either. It is what it is and God will deal with all of us, when we are judged.

Lastly, I can speak on this subject very clearly as I am the Father of a child that has chosen the homosexual lifestyle. Even now as I'm writing you this email, my son is lying in a hospital bed dying from his acts of homosexuality. His Mother and I raised him to know Christ, but as a young man he took up this lifestyle against our counsel. Because of his lifestyle and nothing else, he is now facing death. Just know that our sins are forgivable and God is a gracious and loving God, but he is very, very clear about the penalties, especially homosexuality. We are saddened and heart broken that our baby son is going to die such a horrible death and is suffering because of his decision to live the homosexual lifestyle. But we also know and knew what God say's about the wages of sin. The wages of sin are DEATH.

Sincerely,

Kevin

Comments:
deep sadness reading this.
 
deep sadness reading this.
 
There are so many things one could say (non-biblical). But I would stick to... I am so very sorry for your loss.... and leave it at that.
 
one more thing...

I hope they tell their son that they love him
 
“…His Mother and I raised him to know Christ, but…”

“Now, I don't hate or even judge those who live the lifestyle because I know based upon what the scripture says' that these things must happen for the Lord to come.”

Susan’s post this morning speaks to this father’s commentary. “…Some people we dismiss because of something about them that makes them other than us.”

From yesterday, Psalm 139, verse 6, Susan shared – “speaking of His realization that ‘before a word slips from my tongue, Lord, you know what I will say. You close in on me pressing your hand upon me, ‘”

And, from last Sunday’s -Gifts of The Holy Spirit-, “The reality, of course, is that we are always blessed by the Spirit, every day of our lives. So perhaps it is better to say that Pentecost helps us to be more open to receipt of the gifts of the Spirit.

If, like me, you went to Catholic school, those gifts of the Spirit probably roll pretty easily off of your tongue: Wisdom, understanding, knowledge, counsel, fortitude, piety and fear of the Lord.”

“But one thing that neither you or I or any court of human law can legitimatize is the gay position when it stands before the Lord. ‘…God is a gracious and loving God, but he is very, very clear about the penalties, especially homosexuality.’ ” - KC

We stand before the Lord each moment of our lives. What can we hope to conceal? Is it our words – recorded in heaven when spoken, our thoughts? “…“before a word slips from my tongue, Lord, you know what I will say.” His hand and His embrace are eternally pressed upon each one of us, holding us close with unconditional love.

How blessed would be an opportunity to sit in the Lord’s presence and hear His teachings of the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit; the most unsettling, possibly the last? – Fear of a gracious and loving God? Possibly, when one continues to dismiss, exclude or judge the heart of another.

I have often thought...
 
imagine the anxious morning when St. Peter summoned God to the Gates of Heaven. Lord, today there are too many! You can not possibly spend enough time with everyone and determine their proper place in Heaven.

For as far as the eye could see, row upon row of God’s children stood before the gates. Indeed there were many and with a gentle voice was heard – Upon approaching the entrance each person was to select one trait, one gift or one accomplishment that best described their life and upon which God would announce the place that had been prepared for them.

Conversations became whispers, movements became stilled and relief appeared in the eyes of many, choice was theirs “…(when) God will deal with all of us, when we are judged.” Though, no one stepped forward.

After a moment or two they heard - choose wisely, the trait, gift or accomplishment you select will be compared to all who have come before you and all who will come after. The silence was deafening, anxious hearts raced, who would be first?

Moments became minutes and minutes became… until from far back, the gathering began to part as a smallish, old woman wearing a tattered Amish dress approached St. Peter and the Lord and with eyes lowered and with a soft voice she spoke up.

Lord, no matter how long or hard I try, it would be impossible for me recall anything that would grant me a place among the others. I was born not of a prestigeous family, nor from wealth, I have not given vast sums of money to charities nor am I educated – I own not a business or hold no position of authority in any – I have not been elected to any office, nor have I been a leader, teacher or instructor – I am not recognized for anything of great value I posses or have accululated, for anything I have written, designed, built or created – I have no medals, trophies, records or awards to call my own – and many read Scripture and pray more fervently than I. I have been a “baby catcher” most of my life and have given thanks for that blessing and for many others. I struggle, seeking anything praiseworthy upon which I wish You to judge my life.

If you must, judge me on how I have treated others – for the benefits of family, wealth, knowledge, business, possesions, achievements, opportunities and prayer do not affect how we treat each other – Only I control my acts of kindness. Please judge me on the love and kindness I have shown to others.

Through the Gift of The Holy Spirit, God dwells in each one of us, (I am with you always) the Lord has come and remains with us when we open our hearts to all of His creation, especially to those “…other than us.”

May this father’s son know and experience all of God’s love, now and forever. He will remain in my prayers…
 
Love is love. You can love your son unconditionally if you choose to. A humane god would want you to do that. I am sorry for your loss. Your views mean to cause fear of breaking the rules. They do cause fear in me that you will regret it until the end of your days if you do not love your son unconditionally now, when he needs you the most.
 
Ty'd: Amen!
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Susan's post this morning struck a chord...

Recognizing our Biases
June 4, 2012 by Susan Stabile

"I’ve written and spoken on many occasions of the value of mindfulness meditation, meditations designed to help us increase our awareness of the present moment. Whether vipassana (a form of mindfulness meditation I talk a liitle about in my forthcoming book, Growing in Love and Wisdom) or some other form of meditation, we can all benefit from a greater sensitivity to, and awareness of, what if affecting our current reactions."

On June 4, 2012 at 8:14 am Christine Charles replied:

Thank you so very much for such an inspiring reminder…

Yesterday, I posted a lengthy comment and, once again, let my emotions get the better of me. In an attempt to push back against “Rightness” and judging others, I dishonored the benefits of life experiences and prayer as the wonderful gifts of reflection, inspiration and encouragement they provide as I attempted to speak to the ownership we must accept for our thoughts and actions – specifically our infinite invitations to perform acts of kindness.

No matter the place or moment in our life journey, upon each invitation we stand before God with a decision to make – a decision often perceived as lonely to make, thankfully Blessed with His gifts and grace.
 
I haven't been able to stop thinking about this one. I don't know if any response will reach him if his own son's impending death can't open him up to a more loving and compassionate view. But, I can tell you what I would do, which is worth exactly what you paid for it.

There are other characters in this story besides Kevin. Most importantly, the son. I could see myself writing to the son and expressing deep condolences for his illness alongside the love, kindness, and empathy we would all want from our families. If I shared your faith, I would try and find a way to (gently) provide a bridge between his father's brand of Christianity and my own (probably through a story since it's you Mark). Use it as a forum to express the heartfelt sorrow and compassion that we all feel for him. Maybe even include the blog address so he can see that he is supported by others. That seems like the most healing thing that you could do for one of the people hurt by this situation.

Since the only access to the son is through the Kevin I might include the letter to the son in correspondence with the father and ask him to deliver it. To Kevin, I would write something incredibly simple and with a limited purpose. I don’t know that anything I said would deeply affect him in the way I’d hope for, so I’d rather thank him for his letter and empathize that it must be incredibly difficult to lose a son. Maybe point out that although we disagree deeply, you are grateful that we have the freedom to do so.

On another note, I feel privileged to be friends with a man who feels so deeply compelled to respond to the people contacting you about your article. That is not the easier road, and it is one way among many that you are especially wonderful.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#