Monday, April 23, 2012

 

A Winner!


Do you have a few minutes free? If you do, I'd really recommend checking out the most recent Haiku Friday results here. It is probably my favorite collection ever.

I don't think I need to write a bio this week, since so many of the wonderful entries were autobiographical. Here are a few of my favorites:

First, from OsoGrande:

I wonder if Frost
really chose the less trod road.
It's easier said.

Choose, or the world will.
I've found the adage true, and
often ceded choice.

Whether one chooses
boldly or casts fates to chance,
God's grace is in it.


And a story-poem from Jessica:

I chose to get out
Literally, just to run
I didn't look back

To live without roots
You must become addicted
To running away

Then something happened
And I wanted to slow down
Didn't want to run

My marriage, my home
It's a new gypsy's detox
But still my legs itch.


From Susan Stabile (I loved this one very much):


Had to shave my head
The robes didn't keep me warm,
Lived with many vows.

I chose Elena
Post Buddhist-nun years, of course,
Perhaps my best choice.

What! Leave my New York
To live in the strange Mid-West?
Friends back home still sigh.

And, of course, from Renee:

One day she cried on
Her father's chest,exhausted
And he chose for her.

He chose the airlines.
At first,she was scornful of
Her job.but found STAGE.

She chose to sing there.
To tell jokes,to listen to
People's stories.To help.

She traveled with friends,
Comrades,really,and started
To choose revelry.

You know she didn't
Choose the right husband...really!
He did not like hats.

But she did choose to
Have a beautiful boy and
Nurture choice in him.

Before her parents died
She chose a cast of characters
To be her kin.Church.

Now she has chosen
In twilight,Theatre...and Pen.
And Dog to warm feet.

Comments:
What about Bob?
 
Great movie!

Also, an excellent haiku writer... but the competition was pretty stiff this week, and assuming that "Bob" is not Hitler, it wasn't autobiographical enough to fit into my energy-saving tactic of choosing winners who had written their own bios.
 
It was an excellent week for Haiku Friday.
 
It's good to be back in the mix. I was surprised that's what popped in my head when I saw the topic.
 
"Energy-saving?!" she queried, with raised eyebrows."Hmmf!" And flounced off to drink more coffee. Seriously,that phrase of OsoGrande's about a "new gypsy's detox" and "itchy legs" was a killer. Appearing to say one thing,while saying oh so many others! And bravo! to Susan who did a similar feat of magic while saying the robes didn't keep her warm.Wow! It was very exciting to be amongst so many poets working very hard and crafting such fine works.
 
OOps! I gave Oso credit for Jessica's poem. Oso's was great too,but it was Jessica who wrote about detox. Sorry about that!
 
True! ... but "new gypsy's detox" and "itchy legs" were from Jessica, not Oso. You'd like Jessica a lot-- she was my student at Baylor.
 
You should put all of these in a book. Donate the Proceeds to the Lgal Defense Fund of People's Houses Yet to Explode in Canby Oregon. Sadly I might not be disqualified.... You just never know around here.
 
All in all, I'd rather be a more decisive chooser, but I appreciate the nod, in any case. And then Renee gives me Jessica's props. Life is good.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#