Wednesday, April 18, 2012

 

Unevaluated


Yesterday, my plan was to hand out evaluations for criminal law. I had them all ready. There were pencils in the room. Nearly all the students were there.

But then, I didn't. I didn't want to give up a minute of talking about criminal law.

I love that about what I get to do.

Here is an absolute truth: Before I go into the room to teach, I feel nervous. I'm not an extrovert by nature, so I kind of have to force myself in through the door, and luckily at the start there is some fussing around with the powerpoint and so forth. I put up the reading for the next day, and everyone dutifully copies it down.

Then there is this moment. I look up, and there everyone is-- the alert ones, the sleepy ones, the crabby ones, the happy ones-- I can see all that from the front (something I did not realize as a student). That's when the lights come up, and after that I don't wan to stop.

What a great job...

Comments:
So good to know that other professors feel nervous, don't like the lecturing (love the bit about fumbling with the powerpoint -- have you been to my lecture?). But then when you see the students learning and getting involved, it's worthwhile.
 
Someone once told my dad (an Episcopal priest) about the liturgy: "If you stop being just a little nervous, you're not taking it seriously enough."
 
Being a teacher is such a blessing.
It is in giving we receive.
 
I'm not sure about that introvert stuff... not drinking the kool-aid....

If you are not an extrovert, I'm not certain wait that makes me?
 
What a blessing! And the challenge that beckons creates a searing vision...

As often as a shoreline beckons, each encounter is as varied as the time of day and weather conditions that create the calm, sun drenched, glassy surfaces or the blackened nights of icy cold crests cascading and crashing one upon the other; peaks and valleys representing your students preparedness often as contrasting.
 
similarly to what carrie said, i've always been a firm believer that a bit of nerves or anxiety-- whether it's being nervous going into a sporting event or taking a test or and interview or teaching a class-- helps you to perform your best.
it's when people become overtaken by nervousness or anxiety that it becomes counterproductive and ruins them.
that aside, having taken your oral advocacy class at BLS and seen you speak on a couple other occasions, i believe that what you may consider to be seemingly anxious moments while you teach or lecture come across to your audience as thoughtful and measured words. you really have an engaging style-- one that tells the audience you've given thought to your words, so they should, too.
plus, you have a calm sense, which seems more conversational than threatening or confrontational.
keep up the good work.
 
Thanks, Woody! Sometimes I forget that, long ago, you were in my class...
 
Reminds me of my Sunday mourning's in a previous life.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#