Monday, April 16, 2012

 

Haiku Winner: RR!



First of all, I want to recognize how much I love Renee's entries every week. They are rich with meaning and wordplay. Even with a topic like bad restaurants, she can spin some gold... but she had some strong competition this week.

Bob's made me laugh out loud:

Only got sick twice:
And both times in a Dennys
Dude! I was Grand Slammed!



RR's was pretty awesome, too:

Breaded mystery;
what is inside matters not.
Battered by Long John.


So, what do we know about RR (besides the fact that he is one "L" short of being "RRL")?

The rumors are that he is a child of the great plains, one of those large, rectangular states where beef comes from. Despite growing up in such surroundings, he was fascinated by the sea and was obsessed with pirate stories as a child. They appealed to his sense of adventure, his longing for travel, and his deep love of fish sticks, which he imagined to be a staple food on the high seas.

Sadly, though, his real-life exposure to maritime life was limited to the Long John Silver's restaurant in his flat, landlocked town. There, even the familiar corn that was grown all around him was exotic, taking the pirate form of a "coblette." Whenever he could, he sat happily gobbling down butterfly shrimp and Krab Kobbler at Long John's.

Eventually, he gained enough weight this way that he won a football scholarship to a far-off school. This opportunity served as his springboard to many other successes, but he never forgot the pirate who started it all.

Comments:
aRRrrrrrrrgh!
 
Oh, pooh, not even honorable mention. Congrats RR!
 
I have known RR for several years, and have long respected his ability with the writing of the poems.
 
To the winner goes the spoils:
First Prize: One free dinner at Long John Silvers
Second Prize: Two free dinners at Long John Silvers.
Bob
 
I would like to thank myself, without whom none of this would be possible. I also would like to thank P. Rico, who has pulled himself out unthinkable claw-game squalor to be an inspiration to us all. I also want one of Osler's hamburgers, and I want it delivered far away from GED who can't be trusted around dead cows.
 
And RR,you deserve it! Great haiku,with monumental spiritual significance.But good luck getting the hamburger! I asked for something myself,when I had already had two biographies. I am still waiting.
 
OK, RR and Renee, keep in mind that this whole "prize" thing means you get the bio, not that you get wishes fulfilled! That could get ugly, after all.
 
You mean you aren't our personal genie? Life just got real disappointing! How will you keep us motivated to haiku after we've all won and had our biographies? And furthermore,"how you gonna keep 'em down on the farm?/After they've seen Paree." Of course I suppose,writing a haiku is in and of its own accord rewarding and a delicious experience.Nahhhhhhhh.We want burgers!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#