Monday, April 02, 2012

 

Haiku Winner: OsoGrande and the Baylor Line



For Bob Darden's birthday, OsoGrande submitted this haiku, revealing a rich understanding of Baylor's essence:

Baird McGee Moore
McHam Packard Miller and
Darden, Baylor's Line

In short, OsoGrande listed seven of the outstanding teachers from the last 50 years of Baylor history. One, of course, is Bob Darden. The others are just as illustrious, and it is their biographies that I will provide today. I love the imagery he creates-- that the essence of the "Baylor Line" that is drawn through the decades is nothing less than wonderful teachers who truly love their students and their work.

Bob Baird, of course, is the father of Katherine Baird Darmer, whom we remembered on Saturday in Waco, and who remains one of the great figures of Baylor's great legacy of teaching. He was at his best on Saturday, in the painful role of talking about his departed daughter. He was strong and passionate and above all else, honest. I will remember that moment always.

From 1966 to 2006, Dr. Daniel McGee taught Ethics at Baylor, influencing several generations of students. One of them those students (whom I admire very much), Lyndon Olson, endowed a lecture series in his honor.

Rachel Moore was one of the best-loved literature teachers ever at Baylor-- a school which has always boasted excellent teachers in that area. She won the Collins award in 1999 (as have Bob Darden and others listed here), which is probably the highest honor a Baylor teacher can receive from her students. W. Winifred Moore was a legend as pastor of Amarillo First Baptist Church from 1959-1989, and was the founder of the Center for Ministry Effectiveness at Baylor. A firm believer in traditional Baptist values, Moore had a profound effect on many of the Baptist ministers working in Texas today.

David McHam began teaching journalism at Baylor in 1961, and trained many of the significant writers in Texas (including Bob Darden). In 1994, he was named the Most Outstanding journalism professor in the nation.

Robert Packard taught physics at Baylor for 50 years, until 2002. He was beloved by his students for his knowledge and teaching style. His personality in the classroom made scientists out of many who did not know they had that interest.

Of the beloved teachers at Baylor, the greatest may have been English professor Ann Miller. She was named Outstanding Professor 12 times, and while I taught at Baylor I often heard people speak of her with true reverence for her teaching ability.

Certainly, if the form had allowed, there would have been more names, as well-- Baylor has had a wonderful legacy of masterful teaching. OsoGrande was right to put Bob Darden among those names.

Comments:
Excellent bios! I am lucky to have had Packard, Ann Miller, and Darden as my professors at Baylor.
 
An Open Letter to Mark, OsoGrande, Megan and Other Friends:
This was the single best birthday present anyone -- but especially a teacher -- could have possible had. I'm not really in the league with those Baylor Legends, but they (along with Rachel Moore, O.T. Hayward, Harry Marsh and others) constantly give me inspiration on what I CAN become, if I keep working at this gig. Thank you, Mark. I'm so very, very touched by all of this. Blessings on you all.
Bob
 
Oh, you belong in that league. Besides the teaching, though, I have many times told people that in 100 years it will be your work with the preservation of black gospel music that will turn out to be the most significant of the many worthwhile things being done at Baylor in my time there.
 
Thanks for the opportunity to cite just a few members of the Line to which you refer. Dr. Baird is known to me only because my roommate for several of my Baylor years ()a Philosophy major) idolized him (that's you, Dr. Baird). He spoke with reverence of both your intellect and your teaching.

Rachel Moore took a wide eyed country boy and turned him into a college student. My gosh she made me feel like I belonged, and there was so much to learn, but even more to LOVE to learn.

Ann Miller was spectacular in the same way. In fact, for several years, she continued to teach me with her annual "new writers to read" feature in the Baylor Line magazine. I took it as gospel, and bought the books. But I also had in mind her late husband, Robert Miller, who chaired the political science department for years. He was a teacher who was easy to listen to, cared about you and was paying more attention to you than you realized, and, when the course was finished, you realized how much you had learned.

I took an elective summer school class with McHam called "History of Mass Communication". My gosh. It was one of the most memorable academic experiences of my life. He taught me so much, and he inspired me even more, and wrote the kindest words to me at the end of course that I remember even still. A sad day for Baylor when he left.

Packard just loved students. Loved 'em all. A wonderful, wonderful man. His parable about living well called "and a little bit more" is the way he lives.

Oh, I could go on.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#