Saturday, April 21, 2012

 

Clemency-stravaganza!

Yesterday, the St. Thomas Law Journal hosted a really wonderful symposium on clemency issues. It was, at least for me, a remarkable day. For one thing, literally every person writing and thinking seriously on this topic was in the building, listening to one another. Part of the wonder of that was people meeting one another: I met Dafna Linzer, one of my journalist-heroes, and P.S. Ruckman, and David Zlotnick, and several others for the first time, which seemed odd given my familiarity with their work-- it seems like I have known them for a long time.

In terms of describing the panels, I don't thing I could do better than P.S. Ruckman's description in this post on his influential blog, Pardon Power.

More than anything, it was wonderful to see the engagement and involvement of our St. Thomas students. They made a great impression, too-- here is what P.S. Ruckman had to say:

Speaking of compelling, I have to say this, as a teacher and husband to a top-notch lawyer: I made it a point to talk to as many St. Thomas School of Law students as I could, not about myself, or my work, but about them. I asked them what year they were in, where they were from, what they liked / did not like about law school, was it everything they expected it to be, where do they want to be in the future, etc. I talked to several tables of students before the presentation, several between breaks and others going to and from the campus.

Every single student I met was not just polite, but clearly welcoming, friendly, articulate and altogether impressive. They seemed focused, ambitious, intellectually curious, and a wide world of potential just seemed to surround each and every single one of them. I haven't met so many impressive students in one place in many, many years. It was great to meet them, and an encouragement as well. Yes, it is good for a teacher to see that kind of thing every now and then.

Comments:
Susan's reflection this morning elicited a broad spectrum of emotions. In her last paragraph she wrote:

“…I stood in awe of what God has done and continues to do in the world.” - Creo en Dios!

In the presence of downcast eyes, I often stand in awe of what we have done, and continue to do, “to” His world and our brothers and sisters we share His creation with…

combined with yesterday's comment to her posting -

I have often wondered, by putting “on Christ” have we not embraced our nakedness. A cleansing of self that allows us to acknowledge, embrace and affirm Jesus’ presence that dwells in each of our brothers and sisters – unburdened and unscripted; heart open in humility, embrace offered to comfort, ears attuned to listening and hands extended to serve…

"I haven't met so many impressive students in one place in many, many years. It was great to meet them, and an encouragement as well. Yes, it is good for a teacher to see that kind of thing every now and then." - P.S. Ruckman

Amen!!! Our future is alive and well in the hearts and hands of those at St. Thomas Law...

Blessings to All!
 
Mark,

Thought you might be interested in this: Usually, on a weekday, I can count on 10-11 visits (at PardonPower) from the DOJ.

I was posting some stuff, live from the symposium, on Friday, and the DOJ was on the page like ants.

39 visits that I was able to count! :-)

best,
 
Excellent!
We did invite them....
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#