Monday, March 26, 2012

 

Haiku Winner: It's a tie!



We certainly got a lot of interest in the topic of "Songs You Can't Get Out of Your Head!" Our villain this week is Sara Sommervold, who mentioned "My Baby Takes the Morning Train." Grrr.

Our co-winners are Jill Scoggins and Woody. Jill wins for this fabulous suite of poems:

Extreme stress causes
This boomer to hear theme from
Captain Kangaroo.

Over and over,
Jingly, jangly notes repeat
In my stressed-out mind.

Am I seeking to
Revert back to childhood to
Escape from worry?

Whatever. It works.
Mem’ries of Captain, Green Jeans,
Moose, Bunny calm nerves.

Oh to have our old
Zenith TV give me my
Captain K again!


Woody is a champion for this effort, just because his HAIKU go stuck in my head:

de doo doo doo de
daa daa daa is all i want
to say to you. de...


Intriguingly, this was not their first co-championship. In 2006, the all-Waco patriotic essay competition finished with these same two on top, Woody's effort there was titled "My America: A Place Where Doves Cry." It interspersed the lyrics of a Prince song with notations of Woody's favorite things about America, a list that included all of the following:

Sports
Magnets
Brett Favre
Canada (sic. He identified Canada as a "state")
Clown Posses
Puppies
Guns
People named "Don."

Meanwhile, Jill Scoggins submitted an essay titled "I Did Not Order This!" It contained a sharply-worded retort to an on-line propaganda piece by the Taliban.

Both winners received a $9 gift certificate to the IHOP by the expressway, and briefly danced at the celebratory gala.

Comments:
Oh, rats, foiled again. Going to go chase moose and squirrel. Get bomb. See what Natasha want.
 
I dunno. After watching that idiotic "Kristen you're such a good listener" Android commercial, I have to kinda agree with Oso Grande.
 
Great work, Jill & Woody! Now, if you'll please excuse me, I have to go crank up some metal to drown out the sound of childhood television theme songs.
 
Oh I'm so honored. Really. I'd like to thank all the little people for this honor. But not the big people. Just the little ones.

And Ang - SEE what I mean?!?! After all these years, the Captain's theme is positively embedded into my brain.
 
i would like to thank the lyrical genius of gordon sumner.
and i'm honored to share this weekly recognition with jill.
although, i have to admit that she put a great deal more thought into her haiku. really, any thought at all would have been a great deal more thought.

lastly, you'd be amazed at how much food a $9 IHOP gift certificate will get you.
 
Yes,that horrible,terrible "my baby takes the morning train." Thanks a lot Sara! I now cannot think of anything else. I loved Captain Kangaroo...especially Bunny Rabbit,who echoed my non-stop teasing of my brothers and sister. Kudos Jill.Kudos Woody. A consoling comment to The Medievalist: I loved that haiku and this mysterious woman...the story of it. And,I assure you, Natasha wants nothing good,which is why you must go immediately.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#