Saturday, October 08, 2011

 

A short rememberance



I'm writing this on an Apple MacBook Air.
Downstairs is my old MacBook and a Mac desktop.
In my pocket is an iPhone.
On the bureau to my left is an iPod shuffle that I use when I run.

I bought each one for the same reason: They took something complex and made it simple. That is the essence of genius. As a teacher, that is what I so halting try to achieve.

Many years ago, I gave up on almost everything touched by Microsoft. I could give a thousand reasons, but the core of it all was about arrogance.

In the same way that genius is taking something simple and making it complex, arrogance is often in the form of creating needless complexity.

Why would anyone create needless complexity? The answer is simple-- it gives you power. If we can learn or create a language others don't know, for example, and sell an essential service as dependent on understanding that language, we have created a profession. The needless use of Latin phrases in law is one manifestation of this.

Microsoft created a language, or rather a series of them-- each of which made us count on Microsoft rather than ourselves. When people complained enough about the complexity in one of the Microsoft programs, the company gave us Clippy. There was no discernable way to turn Clippy off, so I turned on to Apple.

When I bought this computer, a thin, light wedge, I opened it and it began to work. That is as good as it gets, and the product of true vision.

Comments:
I see your point on needless complexity and there must be a good reason for which Latin is a dead language. But there also has to be a reason for it not going away and it can't be all about fancy-pants lawyer talk. It is about simplicity after all, simple as in no needless wording. Your example happens to fit exactly in terms of number of letters “for free=pro bono” but how can you beat “et cetera” or what's “in the place” when “in situ” is so much cooler.
I see your point about the wonderful virtues of Apple, making computer technology accessible to all, when Microsoft took you on some arcane trip with Clippy as your insanely annoying guide. I see how Apple saved you from Clippy induced murderous rage, but Microsoft has become a lot friendlier by killing Clippy and taking Apple's example in some of that “accessible to all” approach. However the populist approach ends when Apple falls apart and when even replacing a dead battery gives you one choice: Apple battery from Apple store at Apple price...that is, if you want your device to work again. Monopoly is certainly not complex at all, in fact it is very simple, not the most popular business model I'd say, but Apple is doing great business which perhaps explains why Latin is still used when it should be dead and it has to be simply for a very complex reason.
 
Well said, Mark. One man made a difference in our quality of life. On the same day Steve Jobs died, the Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth died in Birmingham. He was the true hero of the Civil Rights Movement in Birmingham -- he lived there through the worst of it. His house and church were bombed repeatedly, he (and members of his family) were beaten repeatedly, he suffered many broken ribs from the infamous fire hoses of the BFD. And yet he never, never, never quit. Like Jobs, he was one man who made a difference in the quality of life for all Americans. Just in a different way.
Bob
 
Brilliant writing by you,and by Marta. As an Edwardian on the tuxedo'd coattails of Victoria,my motto has ever been "more is more." However,even I can see and value a simple beauty. I do not have anything that begins with "I" except myself,because even simple to me sometimes is an anathema.I personally value most Jobs' zest for life and his example in that regard. I am a lover of the gloriosity and delight of language,and so I must agree with Marta about Latin.
 
I too own nothing I, and when poking at those products I usually echo Marta's sentiments of overpriced monopoly. But truth be told I look to products that mimic Apple's ease of use as blatant second or third generation copiers who find a way to do it a little better and free open source. Steve Jobs is a giant on whose shoulders I stand, and I'll miss him without ever purchasing an Apple product.
 
You know what really annoys me? Bass clarinets! I mean, seriously! They're clarinets, but what contribution do they make to society? None! Why? Because they're bass clarinets!

Also, where can I get this Mid-Citie Slaw? I need some good slaw right now.
 
Mid-Citie Slaw is from Arlington, Texas, and you can get some at Rangers games. I would recommend getting a pint while watching the Tigers lose to the Rangers.
 
PS (there goes again that pesky Latin but “added word” just doesn't cut it) Rest In Peace Steve Jobs, he was an exceptional individual, a talent and an inspiration for many generations now. What speaks though for his spirit more than any genial product he gifted the world was his keeping at bay for this many years one of the deadliest forms of cancer.

And on a different note...have some faith in the Tigers, Prof! Didn't they just beat up the mighty Yankees?
 
Marta, I think you meant "Requiescat in pace."
 
Ita vero Neil, that's what I meant and thank you Renee.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#