Monday, October 17, 2011

 

It's a tie!


Now that I have purchased the blog back from RRL, it falls to me to judge the haiku contest. My decision: It's a tie!

First, we have this dazzler from Neil Alan Willard:

Free gifts at Christmas
Blitzen always resented.
“They don’t deserve them.”

Also in first, this winner from the always-stellar Megan Willome:


No squib was Neville.
Augusta sent a howler--
unnecessary.

Coincidentally, I can do a bio on both... because their life stories are tragically intertwined.

It was the 90's at Wake Forest, a fine school deep in the piney woods of North Carolina. It is a school where football is a forgotten stepchild, basketball is an afterthought, but liturgical dance is king. And the king of liturgical dance was Neil Alan Willard. He swept the school championship with a triumphant performance based on the first stanza of Song of Solomon's second chapter, leaving the audience literally in tears before rising as one in full-throated roar.

Meanwhile, in Central Texas, liturgical dance was almost unknown, due to the fear of dancing. Yet one woman soldiered on, performing where she could-- Unitarian potlucks, stoner weddings, SXSW-- and honed her skills until she was the best liturgical dancer no one ever heard of.

It is inevitable that the two would meet, and they did: In the national finals, which were part of Liturgi-Con 1995 in Jeffersonville, Tennessee. The theme was "Noah after the flood," a challenging passage for any dancer. Too challenging, it turned out, as both were arrested for indecency for their separate performances and the grand prize was awarded to the third-place finisher, Box Head Guy.

Congratulations!

Comments:
I had to look up Song of Songs/Solomon 2:1 to jog my memory. :p Always enjoy your quirky bios!
 
I noticed you took the Baylor notation out of your tagline. Made me sad.
MMM
 
Worthy winners with fascinating pasts. Small world, indeed! The whole Unitarian pot-luck sequence brought tears to my eyes.
Bob
 
It is an honor, Sir Osler.
 
Yes, Megan, it is indeed an honor! Sadly, I have now retired from the professional liturgical dance circuit. But I'm sure that future glory awaits you.
 
Neil: so sorry to hear about your retirement. I was hoping to book you for a UST event.
 
OMG that is one of the funniest things I have ever read in my entire life... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
 
I think I realllly think These might be among the two funniest sentences I have ever read in my entire lifetime...

1. It is a school where football is a forgotten stepchild, basketball is an afterthought, but liturgical dance is king.


2. Yet one woman soldiered on, performing where she could-- Unitarian potlucks, stoner weddings, SXSW-- and honed her skills until she was the best liturgical dancer no one ever heard of.


Osler You have been totally funny ince like HIGH SCHOOL but this is the funniest thing of yours I have ever ever read.

DYING.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#