Friday, October 07, 2011

 

Haiku Friday: Transit!



Do to an especially unusual week, I ended up taking the bus home from work on Wednesday. Minneapolis has a great public transit system (I also took the train in from the airport to work earlier that day), and it was a pleasure to have a bus route that goes almost directly from work to home.

Still, I was a terrible bus rider-- incompetent in a way I haven't been since my ill-fated afternoon in Grand Marais a few years ago. I knew the fare was $2.25, and I had exact change ready to go-- two dollar bills and a quarter. I got on the bus and jammed the money into the slot on top of the fare box.

Sadly, that slot was only for coins. The driver had to fish the bills out and then showed me the clearly labeled slot for the dollar bills. Oops.

Then, it quickly became clear that I was on the wrong bus, as it headed off in the wrong direction.

So, let's haiku about transportation this week-- by whatever means. Your favorite car, a plane trip, bus ride, whatever. Your prize will be your bio here on Monday.

Here is mine:

IPLawGuy's car,
My bus in college, but it
Had no certain route.

Now it is your turn-- just make it three short lines, and we'll all be happy.

Comments:
Bus to pyramids
of Aztecs. Chickens on board.
Girl laughed at Texans.

Chester Jones, Eighty-
seven, building PETS for third
world paraplegics.

Saturday after
Thanksgiving. Hot air balloon.
Quiet. Dogs barked at us.
 
Steam trains, diesels, trams,
light rail, trolleys, model trains.
My child is obsessed.
 
Gold Route stops out back -
There's no parking on campus;
I'll take the shuttle.
 
In a world of Trucks...
Where SUVs reign supreme...
He...rides a Vespa.
 
Ah, Grandma Moses
My Pontiac Bonneville
Old enough to vote.

Squealing in the heat,
Groaning in the morning cold,
She's cantankerous!

I love that old gal;
Through thick and thin, good and bad
She keeps trudging on.
 
The Popemobile is a Bonneville? That's awesome.
 
Three cars, four people:
The Widow Catcher, Bessie,
an unnamed Hyundai.
 
Bullet hole stickers
Decorate my Old Bessie
Love the pointing, stares.

Bad neighborhood? No.
My sister-in-law dared me.
Rock on minivan!
 
Dang! I miss the trains!
Clickety clack railroad track
Convenient, cheap!
Bob
 
just to prove a point
the old Honda just wont quit
driving through Detroit
 
Dawn at Grand Central
She looks over her shoulder
Smiling, the tears flow.
MMM
 
On the underground,
Going to go home right now,
Too many stations.
 
No friends aboard,She
Penned poems in her head,the
Bus passed graves.Time forgot.


She rode to him slow.
On Immense Beast with Grey Sides,
Her kiss so potent?

Girl's broke pearls bounced to
The floor of the bus,Down's Elf
Retrieved them like treasure.

The aroma of stranger
Like Moroccan spice smoked air--
Paprika Red Bus.

Lone Air Goddess rode
Weekends downtown,a bus,to
Look for new fam'ly.
 
A spring green John Deere
Truck,which she eased into ditch
Like foot to slipper.
 
John Deere makes trucks? Or was "tractor" too many syllables?
 
Nothing too fancy
But I unlock my Nissan
With keys to freedom
 
Rainy day to drive.
Washington-On-The-Brazos...
Hughes' red Cadillac.
 
My very first car
Used powder-blue Thunderbird
First taste of freedom.
 
The best car ever:
Cute and blue and fun in sun
My cabriolet!
 
First subway ride: I
was 8. Madrid, Spain. Rode to
Retiro park. Pond.
 
I love my "mini"
van. EZ to drive. Nerdy.
I love it OUT LOUD.
 
Stranded, no pesos
Left by my boyfriend, a cab
took me back--no charge.
 
@Parliamentarian--they did,and my father had one.Don't know whether it was a fluke,or they still do.
 
Thirteen,she-teen rode
To San Jose.A drunk slumped
On her shoulder.Help!
 
Felt balls line windows,
Indian music static,
the jolts of near death.

Her body jostles
with the ease of every day,
all the same and new.

I drove us all in,
controlling the music was
enough to start fights.

You watch as the thing
takes them away and the best
you have, the sad wave.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#