Tuesday, October 25, 2011

 

Dispatch from the Minnesota DMV



My paper for Friday was done and out, and by 10:30 yesterday morning I was ready for class and my presentation at St. Thomas today. Having checked off those tasks, I headed out for a long-dreaded trip to the DMV, to get a car registered here in Minnesota.

In Detroit, the DMV was the 8th Circle of Hell. It was like an emergency room without the medical attention-- lots of sick and damaged people waiting endlessly as their conditions worsened. It was only slightly better in Waco, where at least hey were reasonably efficient.

Rather than heading home to Edina's DMV, I slogged down to the office at Chicago and Lake in Minneapolis, which is located across the street from Chicago Liquor (which looks to have all the friendliness one might expect at a Chicago liquor store-- or at least the burglar bars).

The DMV is in a basement, so I went down and got in a short line to check in. Actually, there were only a few people in front of me and a few behind, and it moved so quickly that I had little time for eavesdropping. Still, I could pick up some things... the couple behind me spoke to one another in Spanish, and the woman in front of me was from Eritrea, and had her Uncle there to translate. Suddenly, the place was becoming more interesting. The translating uncle had the most beautiful voice, like velvet, and it was better in Tigrinya, as he explained things to his niece. They were registering a truck, it seemed, and the clerk nodded and smiled, and drew it on a bit of paper, and they all laughed and that was done.

I got a number and a form, and as I finished the form my number was called. I went to the counter and three minutes later I was done-- much of that consumed by my trying to locate my checkbook.

Then I walked upstairs, into the Midtown Global Market. Crikeys! That place has everything-- provided that what you are looking for is books in Swedish or Mexican candy marked "Not for sale in the USA"-- which is exactly the kind of thing I usually am looking for.

Suffice it to say, come to my house this halloween if what you are after is cucumber-flavored lollipops or tamarind gum!

Comments:
The little adventures of a life are key,where it is as if you are in a play, a tableau of sorts and you don't know your lines and so are constrained to just listen. Thank you for this vignette. It is a comment on the richness the other brings to the table,the foreigner,the stranger without really commenting. I will not dress up and trick or treat at your house for cucumber lollipops or tamarind gum. Lately my tastes have run to artisinal chocolate or sea-salt caramels...but I will settle for a Kit-Kat or Almond Joy...or caviar. I remember the year I dressed as a Celtic Saint who could command bees to attack Vikings. It was kind of a bust as far as a Halloween costume was concerned. Lizzie Borden was a good deal more successful.
 
Carmel with sea salt; cucumber lolli-pops ~ now those sound interesting. I have enjoyed some dark, artisan chocolate with coffee and sea salt.

Sounds like my kind of market.
 
Crikeys! is right... A number of my girl friends have invited me to the MGM many times - often in their efforts to ensure I am fashionably more presentable.

Many blessings seem destined for whoever arranges a marriage for this Catholic woman to a Muslim man - though I roll my eyes at the suggestions, they seem determined.

Rinzen, a Tibetan convert to Christianity studying at Crown College, selected the leopard print handbag she said compliments my strawberry blonde highlights.

I owe many thanks to Ishika, a lovely young sophomore from Bangladesh pursuing women's studies at St. Kates, for finding me a skirt and dress she assured helps me look as youthful as her mother.

Fereshta's parents emigrated from Kabul, Afghanistan during the Soviet occupation. She is like a daughter to me and keeps me in the most beautiful scarfs - almost as many as the eight languages she speaks. She has as many uncles and has assured me each can have as many as four wives. Farad is at the top of the list.

Renee is correct, "the little adventures of a life" should be embraced and savored and "the richness the other brings to the table" is food for the soul...
 
Renee,

May I attribute a recent heartfelt and inspiring post on laughingwater to you?

"Thanks to The Professor,to you,and to God,for creating us with the capability to do this,even though we most of the time do not want to."

Capability combined with (our) will assures are clay remains wet.
 
My question is, when did Minnesota get so big? And change its name to something so much more awesome?

http://derricketc.tumblr.com/post/11906360035/megasota
 
One of our endorsers ( Billy Johnson AKA Bart Laminuzzi)played in Hooker's band for ten years right up until he (JLH) died. A CHAPIN GUITAR that my husband made is playing rhythm guitar on that song, I am pretty sure on that entire album and I think one other one. Hooker was a really cool guy a GREAT musician and he can never be replaced. We named one of our dog, Boogie after his beloved German Shephard Boogie, who was hit by a car. I know that sounds weird But Bart lived at his house for a year and before that lived at our house. and he was really close to that dog. Musicians are weird.
 
I have been to the DMV in 3 states.

The Mich one is all that Osler says and more. I would say that nothing can rival the Freak Show on display at the California DMV. However for such an odd customer base the test to get a license in that state is very hard! I am serious it is like 60 questions and I had to take it FOUR TIMES to pass it. STILL getting crap from everyone over that.. But honestly There are people that office that are like Hmong and Ethiopian and just the most diverse group, NONE OF WHOM can even talk to the clerks at the place and they are passing the test with like Flying colors. I could never understand it.

The DMV s here in Oregon are great - orderly, nice....friendly people there, lines never too long The test is hard too but not as hard as CA and you have allll DAY to take it if you want practically They do not care. The only thing I have noticed is that every time I go there the person helping me is on the phone on a personal call. It's like they can do the job in their sleep... and they do everything right... but The last time I heard this guy helping us and he is talking to his wife I think... "No she is coming to our house this year because we went over there last year.... Yes we did. Yes we did! Remember when the thing happened with your sister??? that was LAST year so it is our turn. I totally remember it Ham? who does HAM on thanksgiving? I will do it then, if you don't want to .. I can throw it in the Traeger.."

Sooo.... entertaining as well, but in a different way. But no cucumber lollipops.
 
You need to see this before you eat ANY Mexican candy :)

http://www.bad-candy.com/
 
My blog is as weird as I always dreamed it would be.
 
I have posted this brief interlude in the Holy Land in response to your spiritual sojourn beneath MGM.
 
i don't understand many of the above comments, but i would like to say, mark, that i read your post to be like one big thumb on nose with fingers wagging to those of us who have never had anything resembling a pleasant DMV experience.

also, that may have been the longest sentence ever.
that is all.
 
Yes, Woody, that is exactly what I meant. Also, I am coming to Waco tomorrow.
 
It took me a half dozen comments before I finally realized what "DMV" stood for. And I'm from a state where everybody knows what "TXDoT" stands for. Boy, did I feel dumb ...
Bob
 
ha! of course i kid, mark.
how long will you be here? going to have any free time to catch up with RRL and me? (wink, wink, nudge, nudge.)
 
Perrrrrhaps. But I will be wearing my Halloween costume.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#