Saturday, September 24, 2011

 

Chapter 59, in which I am rejected by the Episcopal church for poor handwriting...


About three weeks ago, I filled out a visitor card at St. Stephens church here in Edina, saying that I was interested in becoming a member. Oddly, I didn't hear anything at all from Neil Alan Willard and the gang about it.

It turns out that after church, NAW and a few of the other priests go over everything that was in the collection plate. When they came to my card, they had a discussion about whether or not it was legitimate, and in the end concluded that because the handwriting was so bad, it must have been a joke by some kid. They threw it out!

Then, yesterday, he saw the photo above, where I had signed the wall of the green room at the CNN studio, and realized that my handwriting really IS that bad!

Man, between that and the creeds... these Episcopalians are a tough crowd.

Comments:
If your handwriting was a bar, I don't have a prayer with the Episcopals. At least your name was legible to them. (But, of course, I don't have your creed disability.
 
Fine, Susan, rub it in... but, yeah, they do appear to have a handwriting requirement. I am going to be addressing the Bishop's conference on Monday-- do you think I should bring that up?
 
Well, I'd certainly bring up the handwriting point before the creed one if I were you, Mark. But I'm guessing there might be one or two points that take precedence over the handwriting bar.

Ultimately, the nuns in grade school gave up on my left-handed scribble.
 
For the record . . . the signature in the picture with this post is a lot neater than the obviously-written-by-a-middle-school-student “welcome card” that was tossed into the offering plate at the NAW House of Jesus. Nevertheless, I see the resemblance in the handwriting and admit that mistakes were made. So the church staff and countless volunteers are rummaging through the recycling bins at this very moment.
 
Neil - I will interpret that as assurance that there are no minimum handwriting requirements for your church. Comforting for those of us who are seriously penmanship-challenged. (We've had some interesting results when I sent my husband to the grocery store with my shopping list.)
 
I would suggest --as a learning moment -- to instruct folks to "please print" -- although i don't know if that would help in this particular case study.
 
I have been told on numerous occasions that I must have attended the medical school handwriting course - and NOT as a compliment!

My son, a national merit finalist, had to retake the essay portion of the TAS because they couldn't read his handwriting. He was a tad embarrassed - and now types everything or dictates to his secretary via tape!

Lee
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#