Sunday, August 28, 2011

 

Sunday Reflection: Baptised in the Spirit, and The Futility of Silencing



This morning I went to St. Stephens (aka the Neil Alan Willard House of Jesus) for some sustaining. I needed it-- this week has seen some disheartening moments, some of which were particularly hard. I do, though, always have a plan B.

We baptized babies this morning, in the swift-flowing Minnehaha Creek behind the church. It was whole and pure and moving, part of the spirituality of those who are unashamed of their faith and the true shape of God's world.

Recently, Neil Alan Willard told me a story about that church. One evening, the Edina police called to relay a complaint from a neighbor, who found the church bells annoying. We all know that sound, don't we? Sometimes there are two tones, as the clapper hits either side, each beautiful and essential; the Two Great Commandments in song form, to love God and to love one another without reservation or selfishness.

It may seem silly that someone found the church bells annoying, but how is that different than how the challenging parts of our faith are ever received? Many would want to silence it, not discuss it, push aside what is not... convenient.

They do not want to be discomforted by the ringing truths of what Christ taught.

In the end, of course, those who impose silence to prevent the spread of the message of God's love always, always, always lose. We remember, this week, Dr. King, but who were those who urged him to not disturb the peace? They were famous in their time. They even won out (for a moment, anyways) more often than not. Silence was kept in Alabama, in Mississippi, in Texas, and in Grosse Pointe, Michigan.

In the end, though, the song of Christ's love and the flow of the river wash the silencing away; the frequency of God's creation is one of love, of worthy discourse, of Christ's loving challenge to the settled and powerful. The Mississippi is strong, because it draws from the many creeks. I stand in just one, I hear only one bell, but the water by my feet and song of the bells are more than I am or ever will be, and are never, never ashamed or predictable or silent.






Comments:
Maybe the best part of the hamburger piece is the teaser line here: "Finding the perfect Texas burger is impossible for the simple reason that Texas is a diorama of diversity." I guess burger diversity is something Waco can get behind!
 
Funny you should mention the peal of church bells deemed “annoying” I assume noise annoying, by some people. I am a noise freak and living in NYC can be challenging at times, but on my trips to Europe I found the peal of church bells to be profoundly soothing even when they woke me up. I gave it some thought and I remembered that in Istanbul the muezzin's call to prayer had the same effect on me, soothing. I am not a Muslim and I am not the Christian many of the Razorites and you are, but a call of prayer is a call to prayer and it reaches some chord deep within that I cannot control because it is beyond me and it rings open. It rings, it doesn't stay silent. I have a hard time understanding how that doesn't seem to echo in people who are by far better Christians than I am or will ever be.
 
Well,thank God! Praise Him and pass the verbal ammunition with love. This is an exquisite essay and insightful spin on the events of yesterday and this morning. When I woke up and saw no new Razor I was very worried.This lifts me up and gives me hope. I like it that The Duchess' fedora made it into the picture! We are kind of partial to you,you know, Professor,proud that you have belonged to us for even a short time. Idi s Bogom. We send you forth on a cloud of prayer.I often come down to the Creek to pray and have a sandwich.Our relationship with this Creek is important to this parish. Come down to walk the labyrinth and talk to God before you go.I hope you will be visited by the Great Blue Heron and the otter babies,because that is a powerful sign too.And when you come back,we'll do the innertube float. The Chief will be leading it in his Virginia planter's hat.
 
I love the way the way the first chapter of the Gospel of John describes Jesus as the Word, a word of God's love spoken into the world, full of grace and truth.
I loved the reference to Dr. King, who wrote about "the appalling silence" of people who said nothing in the face of discrimination and cruelty and injustice.
Love speaks, as purely and clearly as the bells peal or the water runs.
 
Oh, this makes me sad and reassured all at once. Baptisms are extraordinary moments deserving of acute attention by those present. I'm glad that baptisms were the counter to your (and mine and many others) disappointment. (And chicken is right. Wow.)
 
I am disappointed for you, but hoping with you.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
http://www.thinkinganglicans.org.uk/ss/archives/000288.html
 
Dear Prof. Osler, I was surprised to see that you removed your thought provoking post regarding the out-ness of gay individuals at the law school. Did you have a change of heart, or was it too controversial, or did it too forwardly rub in your school's Catholic board that they were being good Christians in not limiting their outreach only to those who already "get it" but by also embracing with love and support those whose actions they disapprove? Or yet a different reason?
 
Anon. 9:23--

None of the above! I pulled the post because it was premised on the Waco Trib running that op-ed on Sunday, and they did not do that.

No change of heart here...
 
OsoGrande --

It looks like you were trying to link to this thought-provoking article on Thinking Anglicans by Barbara Brown Taylor, entitled "Where the Bible leads me."
 
Thank you so much for this beautiful, thought-provoking commentary. In the spirit of your suggestion that we avoid the temptation to stay silent in our faith so as not to offend others, I would like to share with you how your piece moved me to tears. I stood in the creek last month and sang one of my father's favorite songs to commemorate the one year anniversary of his death. Unexpectedly, the good Lord sent his angels on earth to join me in this tribute, including the Duchess herself and one of the amazing members of St. Stephen's choir. (The song we was the same one you chose--and Allison Krause was my father's favorite.) I was also comforted during this special time of remembrance by the ringing of the church bells. God bless the incredible place and people that are St. Stephens of Edina and God bless you for supporting them.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#