Sunday, July 24, 2011

 

Sunday Reflection: The Way It Is


Bruce Hornsby - The Way It Is by Dixvad59

One of my favorite songs of all time is Bruce Hornsby's "The Way It Is." There is the unlikely and wonderful interplay between the drums, a synthesizer and the piano. Then, too, it has that casual, loping pace that reminds me of Hornsby's hometown of Williamsburg (which I dearly love). It is also perhaps the only pop song ever which is about the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which really could use some more play in popular culture.

Most of all, though, the song critiques a soul-killing social dialogue that still enrages me. Someone, a child perhaps, asks someone about a social injustice-- endemic racism, intolerance of religion, hatred of others, poverty amongst riches-- and the elder shrugs and says, "that's just the way it is. Some things will never change." Thus ends the conversation.

How many times was I that child, that teenager, that college student, that law student, that prosecutor, that teacher? More than I can count, and every time something in the soul God gave me, the heart of the gospels, the promise of Christ, the rolling thunder of God's own self-renewing world, told me this answer was wrong. It is wrong.

In September, as some of you know already, I am going to anger people, be ostracized, be humbled, and once again be told that an injustice is just "the way it is."

Join me.


Comments:
Don Henley's "End of the Innonence" album is one of my very, very favorites.

I'll say this..."that's just the way it is"...has never resonated with me. And as I grow older, it certainly doesn't. B/c nothing is "just the way it is". Everything....has another side.

And if I know anything, I know that. "that's just the way it is"...is an easy excuse for those that do not want to think.
 
NAW can tell you about how much I loathe the phrase "That's just the way it is." Even if something truly can't be changed, that doesn't mean that it doesn't really hurt, and I feel like saying that it's "the way it is" minimizes that in a harmful way.

You have my blessing (for whatever it's worth), and you know I'll head your cheering committee. Can we make buttons?

Godspeed.
 
Speechless,for once,at the meaning behind and beauty of your words. "The way it is" is also the manner in which they anesthetize the spirit to insure a continuance of the status quo. We will stand with you. Let us know how to be there for you. Loved and needed to hear both songs. Thank you.
 
Im confused by how you could have a post about the effect of the phrase "that's just the way it is" and include two songs an yet not include 2pac's "Changes." At all times, if you can associated yourself with Pac, you should.
 
RRL- point taken!
 
Nothing in the world, in history or in nature is ever “the way it is”. “The way is” is an affliction generally observed in mono-neuronal individuals and it can be easily eradicated.
 
So Hornsby had this one, too, 20 years later. Was it a sequel? Either way, will September usher in changes to be made? I'll be waiting to see what's up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my0rYcNJIoc
 
Killer song -- and, like "Born in the USA", the lyrics are not about what a lot people THINK they're about! There is an extraordinary version of "That's Just the Way It is" with Hornsby and one of the last of the old-time gospel quartets, The Fairfield Four, that moves me to tears whenever I hear it.
Bob
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#