Sunday, June 12, 2011

 

Sunday Reflection: The Dark Lent


Back in April, I mentioned on the Razor that there was a very dark side to Lent for me this year, but that I wasn't yet ready to describe it.

Now I am ready to do so.

Much of the spring, for me, was consumed with putting together the trial of Christ, which we put on both in Minnesota and in Virginia. My job was to serve as the prosecutor in the sentencing phase-- that is, to convince people that Christ was dangerous enough to merit execution.

I began the process the way I always approached a case as a prosecutor. My goal was not to describe the defendant as a monster, but as an understandable, flawed human who posed a real danger to society. It was that step which took me to a dark place.

Once I saw Christ as an understandable, flawed human who posed a danger to society, he suddenly became something less than the son of Man. In fact, I began to feel for Christ something that I always felt for defendants once I knew their whole story: pity.

Pity is not a thought or a conclusion. Rather, like love and fear, it is an emotion. You can use reason to drive away a thought, but it does not work that way with an emotion-- as anyone who has tried to stop loving someone already knows.

Suddenly, I felt lost. In Terrance Malick's movie Tree of Life, a little boy observes tragedy all around him and asks God "Why should I be good if you are not?" It was thoughts like that which followed me, undermining the touchpoints of my life.

I lost confidence and felt inadequate in all that I did. Like that little boy, I began to silently observe tragedies all around me, and somehow each one of them made God seem smaller. I felt unloved and desperate at times, like one of our fishing boats poorly tied to a dock, suddenly adrift in the middle of the lake and heading away from everything and towards nothing.

I have felt many emotions in my life, but rarely despair; I have been too lucky to legitimately claim that sense. But now it crept in as I lay awake at night, imagining what it would be like to run away from my life or even just to shoot out street lights. I cried for no reason. At work, I felt like I was walking through my tasks at times, neither looking for or seeing what I should.

In the end, I did pull out of this. The first step, incomplete but affirmative, was the trial itself. As I made my arguments, I realized that I was playing a role, not becoming a different person. I am not and never have been an actor, and that transition is unnatural to me. When I prosecuted, I believed in every word that I said. I had to accept that this was different, and important too.

There was more, though. There was something deeper and more unnerving at play: the sense that tragedies (including the execution of Christ) made God seem small, uncaring, and amoral. I struggled with that for weeks.

In the end, I grew past that as well. I realized that God seems small in that way only if you start with the expectation that we deserve a perfect unblemished world, a life unmarked by challenge and hurt. That expectation is unwarranted. We, collectively and as individuals, expect perfection in our lives only through delusions of our own perfection. None of us have earned God's grace. I certainly haven't.

Yet we get it anyways. We may not get perfection in a way that is painless, but we do get unearned riches. I do not know why there are tragedies, because I am not God. I do know, though, that there is grace and abundance and love in this world.

When I bite a good strawberry and it gives way just so, releasing a burst of juice into my mouth, that is grace.

When I see a mother and her child laughing, that is grace.

When I am praised for doing what is simply my job, that is grace.

When someone I love touches my hand, the slightest grazing of fingertips, that is grace.

When I sleep, content, that is grace.

It is all grace.
It is all grace.

And all of it unearned.

Comments:
Mark … what a beautiful, and to my way of thinking, spot on reflection. I can only imagine the emotional and spiritual challenges for you (& Jeanne) of putting on the trial.

Below is from our recent commencement speaker, James “Bud” Robertson.

In a lifetime of research on the American Civil War, I have uncovered a mass of manuscript material. A few items stand out among the thousands of pages I've read. One is a statement or affirmation found on the body of a Confederate soldier in 1864. He had been killed just east of Richmond. The sentiments expressed in that young man's final moments are timeless.

"I asked God for strength, that I might achieve. I was made weak, that I might learn humbly to obey. I asked for health, that I might do greater things. I was given infirmity, that I might do better things. I asked for riches, that I might be happy. I was given poverty, that I might be wise. I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men. I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God. I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life. I was given life, that I might enjoy all things. I got nothing that I asked for but everything I had hoped for. Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers are answered. I am among all men most richly blessed."
 
This piece is magnificent....
 
Beautifully, powerfully said, Mark. It reminds of the interviews C.S. Lewis did after writing "The Screwtape Letters." He said the more he wrote, the more depressed he felt, like he was under a dark cloud. He assumed the roles of Wormwood and the others as a character and, even though he was the author, he stepped into those roles to such a degree that it rattled his faith. Just thinking out loud ... Bob
 
Been there. Different path but same darkness. Did you get the sense that road is well traveled?
 
"And when he was certain only drowning men could see him, he said 'All men will be sailors then until the sea shall free them."
 
We are always building our Towers of Babel are we not?
 
Grace is longed-for forgiveness, bestowed.
 
Megan--

Yes, I did. One thing that happened is that I recognized the pain I see in many other people, and I am grateful for that chance to show empathy when I recognize it in others.
 
For the pain we see in others...and often ourselves....I think that is what is so powerful...
This is good.
Awareness is the best thing about ourselves...it helps us know God...it helps us be better humans.
 
"I realized that God seems small in that way only if you start with the expectation that we deserve a perfect unblemished world, a life unmarked by challenge and hurt. That expectation is unwarranted."

I was recently reading the book of Job. A paraphrase of chapter 2 might read, "Satan was bored, so God said, 'Why don't you pick on my amigo Job?'"

The tricky thing about Christianity, for me, is squaring my (earthly) sense of fairness with the biblical sense of fairness. I am not accustomed to acceding that might makes right. My boss can fire me at will, but that only makes me fear him, not love him. If God can squish me like a bug whenever he wants, and he holds it over my head that he just might, why should I not fear, rather than love, him?

How do I, a dyed-in-the-wool Baptist, get past that?
 
Jeremy--

The two great commandments are to love one another and to love God.

I never considered the fact that it is not a commandment that we believe that God loves us... at least not of that quantum.

Perhaps the challenge of faith is unrequited love?
 
Two stunning,laid-open-raw, vulnerable pieces in the brief space of a week.My heart is in my throat. The dark place seems accursed,but it is the home,if we let it be,of our richest blessings(I know because I've been there on multiple occasions).God turns it to that,when we choose him to friend.Once we've been through the crucible of ugliness and step into the sun,our understanding and wisdom and compassion for others is magnified.And love for God who by standing with us in the dark,has brought us through,is increased. I think God believes in us,as we believe in Him...believes in our capacity to choose,and to choose him and right.We are reflections of him,but not him. We are not automatons in our being. He respects and dignifies his creation,by allowing it to suffer.Outside of Him there is no Perfection. God only knows why we expect it to be. Sometimes he intervenes to mitigate circumstances. We do not know why. This life is a journey through disparate countries,disparate seasons. "I wake to sleep/And take my waking slow/I feel my fate in what I cannot fear/And learn by going where I have to go. Of those so close beside me who are you?/God bless the ground/I shall walk softly there /And learn by going where I have to go.--Theodore Roethke "The Waking." I cannot say how much I respect you for writing this piece.
 
Maybe the challenge of faith is unrequited love. That is a very interesting thought I'm going to spend some time with. 

Meanwhile, you bring to mind an interesting circularity. The first commandment is to love God. Elsewhere, we learn that, by "love God," he means "obey the commandments." So it's kinda like the first rule of God Club is that you obey the rules. 

That's interesting because I cannot think of any other system of rules (except math, maybe) where the requirement of obeisance is express. 
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#