Friday, June 17, 2011

 

Haiku Friday: At the Pool



Here in Minnesota, the temps are now up into the 70's with some regularity, so it's time to live outdoors as much as we Minnesotans can. For a place with a ten-week swimming season, there are a remarkable number of beautiful pools, and they are all in use.

There is something wonderful and languid and... summer-y about hanging out near or in a pool, especially as the sun gets lower. In Texas, I loved eating by the pool late in the evening, talking with friends; it something I really miss.

So, let's haiku about that today. For most of us, at some point in our life, there was a pool involved, so you can make it about a moment, a person, lifeguards, your favorite bathing suit, swimming, or a pool itself.

Here is mine:

There is a scent, there:
Sunscreen and chlorine, mown grass,
Cold margaritas.



Now it is your turn. I'm not too picky, but make it close to five syllables for the first line, seven for the second, and five for the third... now go!

Comments:
Yes, the Ridgewood pool---
The yelling, dunking, biting...
And that's the adults!
 
Swimming with my Dad
Are my fondest memories...
Jump! And he caught me.
 
Texas heat is fierce--
what else is new? Thus, the pool.
Grass dies.
 
I hit "publish" too soon a minute ago.

Texas heat is fierce--
what else is new? Thus, the pool.
Grass dies, but beer's cold.
 
OsoGrande Law:...the beer...is indeed cold...thank god.
 
Water surrounding
Feeling weightless and hopeful
I wrap up in him.
 
I looked at the Lake
Climbed upon the white breakwall
Cool, refreshing, clear

*~*~*~*~*~
Up, out, together
I'll never learn this new kick
Turn and try again

*~*~*~*~*~*
The whistle blows, walk...
bronze Adonis on the stand
glistens in the sun

~*~*~*~*~*
Now I swim indoors
No more suncreen or tan line
I miss the sunshine

~*~*~*~*~*

~ this reminds me I need to get up and go workout ~ at the pool!
Unfortunately, I swim indoors
 
"Swimmers, take your mark!"
Bam! That cap gun sure scared me:
Dive, flip-turn, kick, win!
 
When you're in the pool
Everyone looks graceful
Except Petersen.
 
Mother, covered in
Ban De Soleil, sips cold beer.
Time to Nestea Plunge.
 
She swims to the raft
Taffy hair wet now,small girl
Brown wave sinks,big hand saves.





Haiku Police! Arrest that woman!
 
that is a picture of me
 
Behind mirrored shades
I watched.

Saved toddlers
Peered into family lives
Did some yelling

It has been thirty years
But I am a lifeguard still.

I guess I ditched the form this week. My apologies.
 
Big dots on pink suit
Big hat--my boyfriend and I
Swam into wet lips.
 
I think I spent more
Time underwater than on
Land. Blonde hair turned green.

Mom always signed us
Up for the early lessons.
Wisconsin June: Brrrrr!

Tan, skinny boyfriend
Lifeguarded by day and smelled
Like chlorine at night.

Mom and Dad built their
Dream home with a pool inside;
Coolest parties ever.
 
Used to LOVE the pool.
Now it creeps me out. But Why?
Just got old and weird.
 
Anon 7:21: I agree; still a life guard after so many years.

Thinking of some of the creepy parents that used to frequent the pool and the lovely ones too.
 
Spent all of my youth
Swimming on various swim teams
Living at the pool
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#