Tuesday, May 24, 2011

 

America's Worst Welcome Center


I received many surprising responses to yesterday's post, but mostly people were intrigued by America's Worst Welcome Center, which is located along I-35 at Exit 4 in Iowa, just north of Davis City. There are large, official looking signs marking this as an "Official Iowa Welcome Center!" but it just doesn't seem... right.

The first bad sign is that it does not enjoy its own exit/entrance off the interstate, like you find in other states. Oh, no. At Exit 4, you travel west for a spell until you find the "welcome center" wedged in by a gigantic Kum & Go gas station/burger joint. As soon as you pull in, you sense something different about this place-- the parking lot is a dark, rutted dirt lot with cars parked haphazardly every which which way, as if the rapture had actually occurred.

Inside, things are even worse. The space is dominated by a big gift shop which exclusively sells hokey Chinese-made "country" themed junk which appears to have been rejected by the Cracker Barrel restaurants. Because this is Iowa, much of it runs with the themes of pigs and corn, which doesn't make it any better.

This is the kind of store where you would only buy something if you had (1) been invited to Becky Thatcher's birthday party; (2) didn't like her very much; and (3) through some disturbance in the space/time continuum could not leave the interstate to find her a "present."

In the winter, the entire thing is constructed to resemble a portal to the ice planet of Hoth, with wind racing through with mind-numbing harshness as the Country Hell Muffin dolls lie about naked atop a mass of torn ginham. Crying children (and often, adults) line up by the dozens to use the single inadequate and often broken restroom, huddled together against the biting wind. Sometimes, one of the little ones will collapse right there in line, and the others immediately begin eyeing the poor child's meager possessions, or even evaluate the lad's potential as food, before crawling over the stiffening body as the line inches along towards the single overflowing toilet.

In the back, almost hidden from view, is the "welcome center" itself. I was looking for a map, so I sought it out. A few shelves hold thin pamphlets with titles like "Survive Hamilton County," and "Finding the Right Fundamentalist Church in Iowa." The maps themselves were carefully guarded by a sullen elderly man with a thin beard and a humorless expression.

"Can I have a map?" I asked.

"Sign in here," he said, pointing to the type of log one fills out when visiting a medium-security prison. He watched me intently. "Print carefully. Is that MI or MN?"

"MN," I told him, warily.

"What are you driving?" he asked, in a tone that revealed his sole purpose to be directing unwary travelers into the clutches of his inbred Iowa kin who then would torture and eat their prey in the depths of their white and featureless house set amid a sea of corn.

I grabbed the map and ran for it. A guy in a Miata can't take a lot of chances.

Comments:
All of this....disturbing....
Two questions...
1). did you buy Becky a gift?
2). the 'print carefully'...is that b/c you seemed wary? or b/c he couldn't really decipher your hand writing? I mean, really, an MI v. MN.....? You should have put, TX...then he would have relaxed a little...and you probably would have been given the map on the house....
 
I sincerely doubt that the Iowa Welcome Center says "Welcome to Hell" on the roof.
 
That in the the picture doesn't seem to be the Welcome Center, looks more like the Welcome Center Gift/Thrift Shop.
marta
 
Mark, your Iowa map guy reminds of a trip in Maine a few years ago. We did not have a good map of Maine and had pulled into a funky road side rest area that had a small shack for Maine tourist info and maps. In an exchange right out of “Burl & I” and I asked this old guy at the Maine map desk for a map. Mind you, I could have asked for a “map of Maine,” but I was not in Virginia at the time and I assumed the context and the signage lent some direction to my request. The guy looked up at me like I was a complete idiot (not an isolated incident) and asked me what map I wanted … much in the spirit of “you dumb ass, you can’t get there from here.” The short exchanged continued in a similar circular fashion until I elected to make it to the exit … at which point a bag lady of sorts that had overheard the exchange and had a car completely full of junk (to the ceiling) graciously offered me one of her used maps. Needless to say we finally found our up to date map of Maine at another location.
 
So, what you are saying is, if I understand you correclty, is that it is not Cape Cod, or the lovely coast of Maine, or even, a slightly kooky, yet charming in its own way, New Hampshire?
 
Near the coast of Maine … albeit as a native of NE (and my wife’s family are all Maniacs) I can attest that the exchange could have taken place in lots of NE locales. If you are not from there (I am), ever try to ask for directions in Boston? Same scenario could also play out in many regions of my adopted state of Virginia.
 
What is the Minnesota Welcome Center like?

The Michigan Welcome Center on I-75 is totally abandoned now, with homeless people living in there and occasional murders occurring.
 
Don't forget the Waco Welcome Center.
 
Michael Moore once visited the Official Welcome Center for North Dakota. In Minto. In February. In a blizzard.
Bob
 
Sir! As a native son of Iowa, I tire of you besmirching the state of my birth's good name. Iowa, home to Pork Chops on a Stick, Henry Wallace, Herbert Hoover and RAGBRAI deserves better!!

And this paragraph indicates to me that you have been to this "Welcome Center" before, yet despite your experience, you return!

In the winter, the entire thing is constructed to resemble a portal to the ice planet of Hoth, with wind racing through with mind-numbing harshness as the Country Hell Muffin dolls lie about naked atop a mass of torn ginham. Crying children (and often, adults) line up by the dozens to use the single inadequate and often broken restroom, huddled together against the biting wind. Sometimes, one of the little ones will collapse right there in line, and the others immediately begin eyeing the poor child's meager possessions, or even evaluate the lad's potential as food, before crawling over the stiffening body as the line inches along towards the single overflowing toilet.
 
Yeah, I stopped there before... But only because I really really had to pee.
 
My wife and I went to Hell to send some postcards before going to dinner at the Cracked Conch... excellent food.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#