Sunday, April 10, 2011

 

Sunday Reflection: I think they get me here...


One of the things that I loved about Waco was my church there, 7th and James Baptist. It was a place chock-full of smart, funny, and soulful people; there was not a single time I walked into that place that I did not learn something. Best of all, it was constantly humbling in the best way-- there was an overwhelming gentle spirit that was bigger than any one person, yet smaller than God.

Whatever I was able to accomplish during those ten years were largely because of that church, those people. They encouraged me constantly, took pride in what I did, and often my ideas grew out of discussions in Sunday school, in the halls, and during services. It was a rare combination of intellectual yet welcoming of the Holy Spirit, and I think what I did (at its best) reflected that.

Here, I have found that my school, St. Thomas, is that kind of place. My colleagues and the administration seem to embrace what I do, are curious about it, and support me in any way I might imagine. Earlier this week at a lunch in the atrium I received the 2011 Mission Award for Scholarly Engagement and Social Reform. It was kind of overwhelming to be recognized in that way as a newbie, and I'm not sure it was really deserved.

What I receive every day is an act of grace, and I know that. I am lucky to be here. I just hope they don't change their minds when I prosecute Jesus on Thursday...

Comments:
Congratulations.
It is well deserved.

C
 
Congratulations, Mark. Well-deserved (and sorry I missed the lunch).
 
This quote is on the cover of my church's bulletin this morning (by William Placher):

"A life of love is not easier than following the rules. Its demands have no limits, and it challenges us to imagination, to creative improvisation in thinking how to be most of service...secure in the knowledge that God already loves us."

Your work--imaginative, creative and driven by love--is so worthy of this honor.
 
I second (actually third) the congratulations. It certainly seems a fitting, well-deserved, major award. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJSmmbmJCLw )
My only question is, what happens if one of your St. Thomas colleagues does something exceedingly scholarly engagement-y or societal reform-y in the remaining eight months of 2011?? Must you scratch out your name and present it to them?


I kid, of course. Well done, Mark. Keep up the good work.
 
Tis a shame that others were never able to appreciate your contributions. Hence why they won't receive a penny from me until they throw the bums out.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#