Sunday, April 17, 2011

 

Sunday Reflection: The darkness of lent


As everyone knows by now, my week has been largely consumed by two trials of Christ, at St. Thomas on Thursday and at Holy Comforter in Richmond last night. The two trials were strikingly different. In Minneapolis, we had a jam-packed courtroom and great performances by several of our students (Phil Steger will now always be Peter in my mind, and Jon Scheib and Sara Sommervold were great advocates). Last night, the trial was broader and allowed for deliberation by the audience, which added an important dimension.

If you are interested, for the Minneapolis trial the audio will be on NPR this week, and the video will be available on the St. Thomas site (I'll pass along details when I get them). For the Richmond trial, the video will be on Youtube, and the CNN story will be available on CNN.com on Good Friday.

Something unexpected happened, of course.

When I cooked up this scheme, I imagined that building a prosecution case would be fairly straightforward and analytical, but this was short-sighted. Because we were doing the penalty phase only, the question essentially was not guilt, but whether the defendant should be executed. That's a different type of argument, one which leads to a darker and more troubling place.

As I built up my argument, I found that the cynicism inherent in my prosecutor-self was at war with my faith. Specifically, like a cancer attacking my flesh, that cynicism ate into the weakest parts of me: The easy assumptions, the haphazard harmonizations, the places where I assume that Jesus must approve what I do, because it is practical. What that cynicism tore apart was any sense that I should be comfortable with my faith and work. Christ came to trouble and challenge us, and he did just that.

For example, part of my argument that Christ should be executed was that he threatens our intellectual life. On the stand, Simon Peter said that perhaps one of the apostles was literate, and that he (the rock on which the church was to be built) was not able to read or write. In fact, he was a fisherman, plucked from a boat by Jesus. At the same time that the apostles were a group of illiterates, Jesus pushed away and rejected those who were learned, time and again. I plead to the jury that this was a threat to our heritage and history-- how could either survive when we embrace the teachings of fishermen over those who have access to our past?

This was only the fourth of my four arguments, but it still struck to my core. I come to Jesus as a scholar too often; he was clear that I am to come as a child.

Of course we don't want to live in a world where Christ's teachings are taken literally, where we give up what we have, where we offer up our other cheek to be struck, and where our intellectual life is devalued.

But can we be Christian without that?

Comments:
Yes we can. As long as we don't let anger or lust consume us and drag down the ones that truly love us, as long as we don't let greed and envy creep in and turn us into lazy, fat despicable human beings and be proud about it. As long as we take literal those seven, for they sow the seeds of other great ills, I think it is safe to call ourselves Christians, but more than that we can call ourselves decent human beings. Isn't human decency what Christ tried to teach us all along?
 
I think it's more than that...I think the 'ideals' of Christianity get in the way of us being a
"Christian"...
I get the whole seven deadly...but really, in the end...is Christ going to turn his back on us.
I hope not.
I pray not.
Decency, at it's core is more than that.
There is a Lenten blessing:
"Life is short, and we do not have much time to gladden the hearts of those that travel with us. So be quick to love, and make haste to be kind.".
In the end...isn't that what being a Christian is about?!
 
Bravo Wendy - what a beautiful blessing to share on the Razor.
 
Mark … as you were working through your close I was wondering how much am I a Pharisee or a Scribe: an over-educated defender of the accepted and the known? I would like to think otherwise about myself, yet I suspect it is an uncomfortable truth for all of us, we defenders of what we know. As Jeanne remarked about the wonderful line from Borg, when Christ asks us to repent, he is asking us “to go beyond the mind we have.” It also made me think of Harry Parker, the legendary crew coach at Harvard: he would scan the entering freshman looking for the uninitiated with good athletic builds, preferring to teach proper rowing technique to novices, rather than having to break the bad habits of high school rowers. I wonder if Christ was doing much the same as he sought out his Apostles? It also reminds of the great debates between quantitative and qualitative research paradigms in the academy, the reductionist numerics vs. the expansive narratives, and all the encoded hostility partially masked by the language of “hard science” vs. “soft science.” I doubt Christ was anti-intellectual and I doubt he was a proponent of an a-historical stance … furthermore, I doubt he was asking us to be childish … rather, I suspect he was inviting us to put aside our adult filters of cynicism and skepticism, to put aside our blind adult reliance on rationality, and the caution informed by our life wounds … and to listen afresh, without filters, and to imagine with him the unimaginable.
 
Ideals are just that...ideals... something to shoot for. And,I don't think it's either or. It's both somehow.I think God has purposely made it ambiguous,because he knows we're going to screw up,and he wants us to struggle with our humanity.In the struggle we are meeting Him over and over again,whether we know it or not. We're thinking about him,we're wrestling with Him. Like Jacob wrestles with The Angel of The LORD.We are given these miraculous,reasoning brains. We come with those and we're meant to use them. But they aren't enough to know Him. The heart of a child is what is necessary to complete the equasion,a joyful,ecstatic willingness to trust,to surrender to Love.The Reason of a Grown-up and The Heart of a child. "Be as wise as serpents and as gentle as doves."
 
Christianity is a way and the way is humility.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#