Wednesday, April 13, 2011

 

Printemps



I am running in the spring in Edina and thinking about this trial. Around me, there is life everywhere, everywhere.

In a front yard there is a three year old boy. He holds a sippy cup in one hand and his face is smeared with chocolate. He stands benignly off to the side as his parents talk to the neighbor. I look at him, in the eyes, smile and put up my hand. His face lights up, and his hand comes up and flattens out hopefully against the evening sky.

Because I do listen to music when I run, it moves with me, changes. When I turned to the north, here is what came on next:



I'm into town now, dodging through the people, weaving through sundresses. I run past the Edina Grill, and the tables outside are full with families, laughter and the rattle of plates; the big wooden windows at Barrio are swung open to the world again, and people look out like doomed flowers opening. I push past them, faster now. I think: "Simon Peter, the traitor fisherman. 'Get behind me Satan....' Christ said that to you."

And then I turn back towards home, and the music changes again.



There is a creek, Minnehaha, which winds every which way around my house, like a string on the ground wrapped around the church and the stores and the tall pine trees. It was bursting full, rushing full force like a bobsled through my town. I ran over the stone bridge and looked down and saw the white water, could hear the pulse of its life even over the music in my ears. It isn't cute or pretty-- it is beautiful and powerful and destructive, pushing before it all manner of broken things which it will carry to the Mississippi to be reassigned to other forms. That's what happens, isn't it? The primal forces within break things apart and carry them away, break them down so they can be made anew into something else.

I can feel my heart beating, the questions coming, the rhythm of what I do. I am the river.

There is petrol
Pooled at your feet
And your eyes are ablaze
Do I have a match?
No. I am.

Comments:
Though the Mississippi is mighty, it starts in Minnesota, at a place that you could walk across with five steps down.... "Indigo Girls"....
You can do this.....
 
It's warm enough in Edina to wear a sundress? That's real global warming.
~*~*~
Try some new Patty Griffin for inspiration. Especially the last song on the CD.
 
You weren't wearing a sundress, I hope.
 
I am speechless. I feel as if I have been running too,open and raw.You combine this music with such passionate writing I feel as if you are going to be all right now. As all right as you can be. Idi s Bogom.
 
"Go on take everything
Everything
I want you to."

How come Courtney Love wasn't the famous one in that family?
 
Idi S Bogom = Croatian for "Go With God." I had to look it up. I like it.
 
I am fascinated by the silent profundity of a river.

Like men--rivers have character. They can transform from predictable stillness into uncontrollable rage; almost without warning. People learn to understand rivers, their subtle nuances and navigable paths.

Like life--rivers have a beginning and an end. They meander slowly, carving out a path as they forge ahead. Rivers are not independent; they are filled by tributaries and often merge with one another. You impose an obstacle in a river’s path, but you cannot stop it.

Rivers are life giving--we depend on them.

Rivers have a great power. They create and they destroy. From the beginning you cannot see the end, but you can be certain that it’s somewhere ahead. They are inspiring.

You are the river--let it flow.

-CTL
 
Rebecca Black--Fridays (best crash and burn video ever!!)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#