Friday, April 01, 2011

 

Haiku Friday: Remembrance, Grief, and Love



Yesterday, they gathered under an old oak tree by a river in Nashville to remember a life. The river is swollen with Spring, the trees are still bare, but the grass is green now, ripening. It's an old farm, with stone fences and faint ruins here and there. They set the body in a coffin, and set the coffin under the tree.

His life was one marked by love and redemption. He married, after thirty years, the person he loved the whole time. He loved and cared for Nashville, too, growing things in that city up from seeds until they were thriving and bursting with life.

Inside the house on the farm, after the body was put in the ground, they laughed and hugged and cried and sometimes stood quietly (though not much of that). There were a lot of stories, and they all were stories of love, one way or another. It was one of those times that grief and remembered joy twine together like lovers.

It will never make sense, of course. He came to the door because he heard his dogs barking, and his nephew was there, with a gun. The nephew shot in anger, and killed Stephen McRedmond first, before turning the gun on himself.

Can that be understood? No more than we understand the swollen river or miracle of those thin and bright green shoots.

Haiku today about the ways we have remembered those who have gone. No strict syllable count; just three short lines. I will go first:

Too many eulogies
And so rare, these lives,
We must respond with love.

Now, it is your turn...


Comments:
In their backyard
We sat and talked
Didn't want it to be true.
 
Woken in the dead of night
Comforting words spoken through darkness
Such an unexpected thing.
 
Mem’ries in a tin:
R.J. Reynolds tie tacks and
a gold wedding band
 
If we all told her then
How much we love and miss her
Would she still have left us?
 
I grieved Daddy at
Christmas so his death in March
was peaceful, quiet.
 
Shadows of darkness
Gracefully dance with my soul
As I await light.
 
Do we really say goodbye at a funeral?
A cold, wet November day
The open grave awaiting the coffin.

The pain of loss
Mingled with the love of family
Ben and Marie, together again.

That burial marked a beginning.
Unencumbered by worldly cares,
That life continues to nudge me, challenge me
And care for me. Thank you.
 
Shot in a stairwell
David died in his Friends arms
No one else cared
 
I looked up to him because
he never looked down on me.
I will never forget my brother.
 
On Palm Sunday when children
fill the aisle in church waving palm branches,
I remember you, sweet little baby,
already cradled in the Master's arms.
 
He exhaled and then
there was no intake of breath.
No more pain...for him.
 
Now, two years later,
it's still hard to write about:
I miss him daily.
 
The longest quiet
To lose what cannot be found
But then you hear love.
 
Tom:
I was seventeen
I never had a chance to forgive you
I'll live with that forever.

Baby P:
I was in law school
I didn't pick up the phone
I'll live with that forever.

Anthony:
I hadn't met you before
I held your hand while you died
I'll be grateful for that honor forever.
 
Death supposed to be
part of life. But I never
ever expect it.
 
i really like robert kennedy's (mis)quotation of the aeschylus poem at MLK jr.'s funeral. it's a little too long to fit into three lines, but it's powerful:

In our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God.
 
Dad and Marge in black truck,
Turned left and a van kept going
Cildren sat like empty urns.
 
She lay lovely like a ghost
Silver white gardenia pillowed
Now every day I water gentle petals
 
Julia Rebecca I wanted you
To chat me out of sorrow and cradle
Baby girl I somehow smell yourhair
 
I lit a candle for you Mom,
I hope you can see it.
 
Grieving a sister
Still alive, but gone from us
Happy birthday, 'nee.
 
Flowers from my yard
Like so many he shared from the farm
Laid gently on his casket watered by tears
DS
 
The big oak tree
like the man below
holds its character in spirit
 
American
No blood taken
My love must abound and awaken
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#