Friday, April 29, 2011

 

Haiku Friday: Baseball

Before we get to the haiku, I would like to remind everyone that this Sunday at 10 am at St. Stephens Church in Edina Susan Stabile and I will be discussing creeds (she's for 'em, and I'm ag'in 'em). It is part of Neil Alan Willard's Rector's Smackdown, in which people of different faiths are put in a mesh cage and forced to do theological battle. I guess he thinks this will boost attendance. You can hear the podcast of our last talk on creeds here.





Yesterday, I went to see the Twins get absolutely slaughtered by the Devil Rays. It was a great day, though-- I love Target Field, and the fans here.

It is the first month of baseball season, when everyone has hope (except the Cubs), the season before "disappointed" (can I call what fans are in April, then, "appointed?"). So, let's haiku about baseball this week. It doesn't have to be about anything in particular. In fact, if you want, you can haiku about creeds, or the royal wedding. Here are some possible topics (I feel like I am coming up with "Celebrity Jeopardy" categories here):

1) Going to a baseball game as a kid
2) Basebally analogies
3) My team hates me
4) Willie Hernandez
5) IPLawGuy would be way happier if he supported a team other than the Nationals
F) Best ballpark food
7) Kate Middlebury's special dress
8) The Nicene Creed
9) Creeds as part of the royal wedding
10) The Kansas City Royals-- what did they wear to the wedding?

Here is mine:

At Comisky Park
Polish ladies in the stands
The brats of heaven.

Now it is your turn-- five syllables in the first line, then seven in the second, and five in the third. Go!

Comments:
I heard it was like
baseball in a snow globe at
Target Field last night.
 
The Nats won tonight
Iplawgirls were with me
Great night at the Park
 
NAW-- not that I revised the post to mention your smackdown series.
 
They dropped the 'Devil' from the name at least 5 years ago.

Let's go RAYS!

Zobrist is awesome
Take me out to the ballgame
Let's go Tampa Bay
 
Yankee, Fenway, and
Camden in three days; slept in
the car -- great road trip!
 
Jumbotron asks her ...
Ballpark engagements: bad move
What if she says no?
 
Bonus haiku in honor of this weekend’s theological cage match:

Nicaea ain’t got
nothing on this creedal fight
‘tween Mark and Susan.
 
Sheesh! How come you guys are doing this creed thing when I'm retreating to Annandale? Not fair!


That being said,now for the haiku:

She wore simple white
and he red,but what were neath
Bodice hid? Baseballs?
 
Barkers, beer, and nuts,
hot dogs, and superstition
Oh, Sa-wing, Batter
 
Love that haiku,Mark...delicious!Wonderful metaphor...brats of heaven. Love it.
 
Stayed up all night long.
Wedding Awesome. Nap Later?
Surprise! No School Today!

I need a coffee the size of my head.
 
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Defender of the Faith, sent this to me via a text message from today's lunchtime Reception at Buckingham Palace:

One is supremely
governing a Church here, so
repeat: “We believe . . .”
 
Brewers game when I
Was ten. Streaker on the field =
Better than the game.
 
Summer days at Shea
The Mets were always my team,
In good years and bad.
 
Barkers, beer, and nuts,
hot dogs, and superstition
At Royals Wedding

Thanks "S" for the inspiration

Willie Hernandez?
Aurelio Lopez too
He was Senor Smoke
 
Nats Park tonight too
Saw Marquis pitch a shutout
the Nats beat The Freak!
 
It's "opening day"
A season full of promise...
I am appointed.
 
Its opening day!
Our only day for real hope,
For I love the Cubbies.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#