Sunday, March 27, 2011

 

Sunday Reflection: Processional

On Thursday, I gave a talk in Washington-- breaking out a new idea which I hope could be transformational. Watch the Razor for more details on that idea later this week.

One of the best parts of that day was the processional.

In colonial times, there was the widespread belief that one could get an inspired answer to a deep question by opening the Bible randomly and consulting the first words your eyes fall upon.

I'm not a proponent of such an approach to theology (though I seem to get into arguments sometimes with people who appear to rely on this method). However, I do attach some mystical determinative value to my iPod's shuffle feature, which is even more stupid. It is fascinating, though, to see what pops up at any given moment.

Most recently, I was heading to the University of the District of Columbia to say my piece on Thursday of this week. I was listening to the iPod, and the shuffle feature gave me three great songs in a row-- anthems, really. I rose up out of the Metro station, strode out onto the street, and was ready to take on the world-- or at least people who think the only option for reform is the total legalization of narcotics.

Here were the songs:

Harvest for the World by the Isley Brothers
Blue and Gold by BNLX
Clocks by Coldplay (see below)

We all find our processionals; or perhaps they find us...


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#