Wednesday, February 02, 2011

 

Love, and everything else



The past two days, I have discussed two incredible works: La Traviata and the Great Gatsby. The two are paired in my mind, and I have been searching for a reason.

Here is what I've got: The two have, at their core, the idea that love is greater than anything else.

In the Great Gatsby, we see people who have everything, it seems. They are well educated and wealthy, they have great parties, and they seem to have it made. Yet, they are not just unhappy, but unsettled and unfulfilled. None of them have love of any kind-- not faith, not real friendship, not romantic love. The only one of them, in fact, who even knows what he wants is Gatsby-- he wants Daisy to love him back, but he fails in that quest. In the absence of true love, they all despair in their own way, even among their riches.

In La Traviata, Violetta enjoys the company of many men in Paris, but only finds bliss and fulfillment when she attains true love with Alfredo once they isolate themselves from their former lives. In time she is convinced to leave Alfredo, and without love (once she has known it) she withers with disease.

That idea, that love (in whatever form) is necessary to real happiness... is it right?

Comments:
I'm with Fitzgerald. Love makes it worth it. But does that mean God has forsaken those who don't find it?
 
Love is everything.
 
Anonymous,

The German theologian Jurgen Moltmann writes extensively in response to the question that you asked. Here's just part of a quote from his book Jesus Christ for Today's World about his own experience as a prisoner of war (when this man who was raised in a non-religious household became a Christian):

"Then I was drawn to the story of the passion, and when I came to Jesus’ death cry I knew: this is the one who understands you and is beside you when everyone else abandons you. ‘My God, why have you forsaken me?’ That was my cry for God too."
 
I think a lot of people have fulfilling lives by doing their work, taking care of their responsibilities, etc, without any of the kinds of supposed "love" you describe.
 
I disagree with anon 10:34. I believe love is essential. No, it does not have to be romantic love (although for me it does) or a faith-based love - it could be through a friendship or for a family member. Also, doesn't love for someone else just make us want to be better people?
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnLE0N87T6k
 
I don’t think happiness and love are mutually exclusive. In fact I don’t think love has much to do with happiness.
I think love has everything to do with endless forgiveness. That in turn gives you strength and courage, far better fuel for life than happiness. Happiness can often times come as a side effect to those three, but not to love.

Now, can we please have some more NASCAR crashes and mayhem!
 
How can anyone have happiness without foregiveness, though?

Those who can't forgive so rarely feel joy, it seems.
 
Oh, and tydwbeach, love is not everything. It is not NASCAR.
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmnDXRJ7btE
 
Dear Anon 12:45,
I think my point was exactly that, but maybe I tried too hard to downplay "happiness" as the great motivator for love and lost you by the time I got to NASCAR.
 
Happiness, love and forgiveness seem to all go together in a perfect blend.
 
"Love and happiness.
Something that can make you do wrong, make you do right, love."

I learned a long time ago not to disagree with the right reverend Al Green. So, if he equates love with happiness, then its alright by me.
 
I am not sure which character best describes me: Daisy, Myrtle or Violetta... I just know that I need a hug or to be held.
 
Myrtle? The fat lady who gets hit by a car? Eeee! Don't be her!
 
Myrtle wasn't that fat. Otherwise, her fat ass would have stopped the car.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#