Monday, February 28, 2011

 

This Great Week


Last night I watched the Oscars for a while. My simple observation: For some reason, actors are much less composed on camera than animators and cinematographers and film editors.

The whole thing was very glamorous, but I would not trade my life with any of them.

This week will be one to remember. Today, I talk about creeds. Later, I get to teach students who sometimes seem as eager to see me as I am to see them. At the end of the week I get to collaborate with Craig Anderson, Jeanne Bishop and others to begin our big project at Holy Comforter Church in Richmond, Virginia-- to raise the right questions in the heart of the capital of the second-biggest death penalty state in the nation. You can see a description of the whole thing here.

This Sunday, as part of that project, I get to give the sermon at that church, with the title "Transfiguration at the Mountaintop and the Kitchen Table."

Those of you who took my Oral Advocacy class at Baylor know what this means-- I will finally be able to use all the wisdom about preaching I received for eight years from my co-teachers Randall O'Brien and Hulitt Gloer. While my own performance will pale in comparison to theirs, I can at least hope to reflect their light and lessons, and part of what I will say will be a story about them, a story of transfiguration.

To those of you from that class (and anyone else)... do you have any advice?

Comments:
Are you going to do liturgical dance? If so, I have some suggestions...
 
For what it is worth-- the week is off to a great start. The conversation today with Susan Stabile on creeds was wonderful, and will be available on a podcast soon.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#