Sunday, February 13, 2011

 

Sunday Reflection: Counting the love


Yesterday I had the wonderful opportunity to speak at the Fourth Presbyterian Church in Chicago. Despite the name (what happened to churches one through three?) it is a cathedral-style church on Michigan Avenue, across from Water Tower Place. It was a wonderful crowd, and I got some great questions after finishing my talk. I shouldn't have been surprised.

Out to dinner the night before, amidst laughter and wisdom, I had a memory come back to me full force, from twenty-two years ago.

It was the summer of 1988, the interregnum between my first and second years of law school. I worked at the US Attorney's office in Chicago; it was the summer that I found my vocation.

I lived that summer in the Northwestern Law School dormitory, Abbott Hall, down in Streeterville between the lake and Michigan Avenue. It was an unusual July. Every day was extraordinarily hot, and it was over 100 every day for over a week. People died of the heat. The dorm did not have air conditioning, and we residents would just go over and stand in the lake. We were like a herd of Brontosauruses, just standing there in the water up to our hips with dazed and dumb expressions.

It was also a lonely summer. I didn't know anyone in Chicago. Lonely, though, often goes with self-discovery. That summer I came up with the plan for my career that I have pretty much followed. It was also the summer I decided that my work could not be divorced from my faith.

Part of that came from a walk I took many Sunday mornings. I would head west on Chestnut Street, which would be preternaturally still at that time-- there would be no cars, and if I chose I could walk in the middle of that street. Where I was walking was to the Fourth Presbyterian Church. The church didn't have air conditioning, either, so it was stifling. It was hot, but also warm; the people there had an air of genuine kindness to them. The spirit of it was defined by the minister, John Buchanan, who had arrived three years before that summer.

One morning, I walked into the church and was seated next to an older woman and her daughter, who was about twelve. When the sermon began, I saw the woman pull out a piece of paper, which was divided into sections by date, and covered with hash marks. This was the focus of some kind of game between the mother and daughter, and I shamelessly eavesdropped until I figured out that game.

It was a simple and wonderful task: They simply marked a slash every time that John Buchanan used the word "love" in the sermon. That week, it was eleven or twelve, which was about average from what I could see from my half-shaded and eager eyes.

That is as good a measure as I can think of to value the message of a church.

It was a privilege and a pleasure to return to that place where I grew up a bit a long time ago. I have changed, but it has not, at least in that fundamental way. It is still a place of love, was that for me this week, and will be for you if you wander in through those heavy wooden doors swung open to the City of Broad Shoulders.

Comments:
Did they ever get air conditioning?
 
What a beautiful place. I hope you did well. Who got to go to the dinner?
 
Who was at dinner? Just the usual gang- me, Pickles, Dee Dee, IPLawguy, the Medievalist, an appearance by Hair Cut Guy....
 
It was a wonderful dinner! Full of laughter and insights - even from IPLawguy. And the valet guy brought my Cam-ah-ro out to the curb in record time. Excellent.
 
You know it's a good dinner when the waiter gets frustrated because no one gets around to looking at a menu...
 
I went to a church service once at Ian Paisely's church in Belfast, Ireland. It felt oppressive and troubling, and after a while it struck me why: I had not once heard the word "love" spoken. Paisley preached on the anger, the vengeance, the retribution, the judgment, but not the love of God.
I kept thinking of this passage from Scripture:
"Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love."
1 John 4:7-8
 
Right on, Seraphim! That was perfect, beautiful, and right.

And where is Scott Davis? Isn't he going to rebut all this claptrap?
 
This tally seems much more kind than the one taken by the 9-year-old daughter of an Orthodox priest friend of ours. She counts the number of times her dad says "um" in a sermon. Harsh!
 
Was there a video of the speech? How come no one ever comments on the content of what Osler says? It's always him going "oh, it went ok, pretty good, you know," but who the hell knows what really happened? He could be one of those guys who does some crime and everyone says "he was a quiet man."
 
Anon 12:03,

Good point! Though if you saw the video I'm sure you would find, as I have, that the good professor tends to understate the success and impact of his speeches...the same goes for the various and sundry crimes he commits.
 
Remember that a cathedral has a cathedra, which is the seat of a bishop. Remember too that Presbyterians fear bishops, describing them to their children as land sharks (http://bit.ly/gcx6DC). So I’m guessing that the three missing churches were gobbled up by one of these ecclesiastical creatures.
 
Yes, the church has air conditioning now, and all are as welcome as ever.
 
There is a First Presbyterian on South Michigan Ave... don't know about the other two.

Your talk yesterday was just fantastic, Mark. Will you be able to videotape the trial in Richmond? We at Fourth Pres would love to have another trial like this at our church some time.
 
Anon 10:21--

Thanks! I hope that we will tape what we do in Richmond, and I would love the chance to do it at Fourth, perhaps next year at Lent. It is one of my favorite places.
 
The Collect for the Seventh Sunday after the Epiphany from the Book of Common Prayer:

O Lord, you have taught us that without love whatever we do is worth nothing; Send your Holy Spirit and pour into our hearts your greatest gift, which is love, the true bond of peace and of all virtue, without which whoever lives is accounted dead before you. Grant this for the sake of your only Son Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#