Monday, February 07, 2011

 

Minnesota Monday: Reflections on Sunday


Two memories of yesterday:

First, I went to see the Decemberists at the gorgeous State Theater in Minneapolis. They put on a great show. Sure, it meant I had to miss the Black Eyed Peas doing the Super Bowl halftime, but from what I hear that wasn't such a loss.

Second, I got to speak at St. Stephen's Episcopal church on Sunday morning. It was a great crowd (it's always a good sign when they bring in extra chairs at the last minute) and I love that church and its rector, Neil Alan Willard. Part of what I spoke about was the eucharist, and when I went up during the service to take the bread from Nancy Brantingham, it seemed imbued with more meaning than usual.

The questions were great and I had many wonderful conversations after the talk and... I had a heckler! I have never had one before, so it was about time. A man in coat and tie in the back yelled "No!" near the start of my talk and then stalked out halfway through. That's pretty hard core-- heckling a talk about civil discourse, in a church-- but I think it probably helped make my point in the end.

The salt has not lost its saltiness.

Comments:
Congratulations! Getting your first heckler can be embarrassing, even awkward, but its a natural part of becoming famously controversial.
 
A heckler in church - wow! You must have really touched a nerve.
 
Oops-- I accidentally deleted Carrie Willard's comment in which she threatened a Pelosi-esque head snap in response to my heckler. Sorry! But I do kind of want to see that next time..
 
"Accidentally" deleted. Likely story! Just kidding. But I do want to reiterate that we loved having you at St. Stephen's yesterday, thoroughly enjoyed your talk, and want to welcome you back any time. I'll save the "YOU LIE!" action for Neil, I promise.
 
Like the Quakers, we Episcopalians tend to attract some "interesting" characters to our services. It think it may be the coffee hour after the service that does it.
 
What was the line that got such a resounding rejection? I'm hoping it included the words "Lambeth Conference"...that'll always get the ol' Episcopalian blood going.
 
I'm not sure... but he seemed to be the only one who felt that way.
 
At least he didn't yell "YOU LIE!" at you...
 
Your first heckler, you've arrived. Welcome to the club!
 
Spot, you are in the club? Who heckled you? What did they say?
 
BREAKING NEWS

We now have word – in all seriousness – that the one known as “The Heckler” actually left the presentation midway in order to check on something in another part of the church. The one-syllable commentary at the beginning, however, remains on the record.

Interestingly, the congregation will next hear from the Sermon on the Mount these words of Jesus: “Let your word be ‘Yes, Yes’ or ‘No, No’; anything more than this comes from the evil one.”

No kidding. This Sunday. St. Stephen’s. Be there.
 
He did limit himself to "No, no!" so I guess it did not come from the evil one...

St. Stephens is more exciting than people may think!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#