Tuesday, February 01, 2011

 

The Family Circle



A very long time ago, when I was in law school, I found something overwhelming and beautiful. I’m not sure how this happened, but I was in New York and bought cheap seats to see the opera at the Met, and was stunned and addicted.

A few weeks later, I went back again, taking the train into the city by myself from New Haven, and then returning at one a.m., still reliving what I had seen. I bought a subscription which included Wagner’s Ring cycle, and I became a regular. The only seats I could afford were the cheapest ones of all ($10-15 at the time) in the fourth balcony, which is labeled the “family circle.” There weren’t many families up there, just people of moderate means who truly loved opera. To my left were old women who carefully carried fading librettos like they were babies, and to my right were two men who worked in lifeless cubicles in Manhattan paperwork farms. I fit in; I was a student sneaking off, my backpack jammed with books to read on the train home. Say what you will about the family circle, but it was like a church—people up there had a careful focus, the reverence of the widow and her pennies.

One night I was up there, watching Rigolletto or Carmen or some other classic for the first time. The bells were chiming (that the curtain would soon go up), and a couple came into the seats a few rows ahead of me. He was older, perhaps my age now, and she was younger, tall and striking. She took off her fur coat, but didn’t sit down. Instead she turned to him and complained.

“Really? This is the best you could do? You couldn’t hit the stage with a baseball from here. These are the worst seats in the house.”

The man stood back up and tried to talk to her quietly (I think he knew what was going to happen). I was close enough to hear: he was telling her that the side boxes had obstructed views, and though they look fancy, they are not as good to see and hear the opera from.

This didn’t help. She demanded that he get them better seats.

The man next to me joined in. “You really should get her a seat downstairs. This is just an awful place up here.”

“Terrible, terrible. All the riff-raff are here,” an old lady offered. “Criminals and codgers.”

The partner of the first guy: “I hate myself for even being here. It’s a disgrace!.” Another woman and her husband went next, and then people started to laugh.

The tall, striking woman was not stupid. She and the man both knew exactly what was happening. They conferred briefly and left, and the others clapped and yelled “bravo!” and “wise choice!” as they slipped out. She had pursed lips, and beautiful shoes.

Then we tucked in our things, leaned forward, and breathed in anxiously with the first notes of the score, lost in it, again.

Comments:
How can you tell what they are saying unless you speak German?
 
Many seasons ago I went to see Jessye Norman in Wagner’s Der Ring des Nibelungen. It was my first time at the Metropolitan Opera and it was my first year in America. It was a packed house (for a good reason, turned out) and all I could get was a $10 ticket standing only. Back then there was still a padded frame at the back of the orchestra seats (no longer in place now) and for the entire duration of the performance I don’t remember ever feeling uncomfortable for standing up. Then I discovered the next best thing, the Family Circle, it is a rarefied atmosphere out there and it’s not due to its placement under the rafters, it is the purity of heart of the audience out there. Everybody in Family Circle listens in unison to the indescribable live performance an opera is. One feels comfortable up there, when in the Family Circle the only prima donnas are those on the stage. Over the years I saw performances from up close center orchestra, first balcony center and other great seats, but if I am to choose a place to sit, Family Circle is where I want to be..must be called an Opera HOUSE for a reason after all.

PS Anon 8:33 opera is a magical thing, it draws you in or it doesn't, subtitles and translations aside. At first you "feel" what they say and then you get the libretto and find out what they say or nowadays you get the streaming subtitles on the seat in front of you (which at the time it was introduced stirred enormous outrage).
 
I still don't like the subtitles, though they have dimmed them. I am too tempted to just read, and then I miss the movement on stage.
 
Save for pond hockey, Mark, today’s blog captures so much of what I like and admire about you. In a less elegant venue … during my childhood days in the old Boston Garden (of the 60s and 70s), the most dedicated Bruins fans peered down on the postage stamp ice from the upper balconies of the “Gahden” … the legendary members of the “Gallery Gods.”
 
Between this post and all the stuff about New York yesterday, I don't like where we're headed. I don't like it one bit. Can we get a post about NASCAR or fried chicken or something? Just to, you know, give us troglodytes something to read. Thanks.
 
RRL you'd be surprised that the most rabid opera fans used to be troglodytes like you. They usually sat in the cheapest seats, as troglodytes were simple people in every sense, not college educated troglodyte wannabes like most nowadays (this is so I don't offend you as I'm sure you're a genuine troglodyte)...uhm, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't even have known what the word troglodyte meant. They were the most feared critics, because if they didn't like an opera or the interpretation of an opera, they would not hesitate to throw garbage or other nasty projectiles, needless to mention invectives and fowl language shouted out with great enthusiasm. In case you wonder... I read about this somewhere.
 
he best part about sacred spaces like the Family Circle--the bleachers at Wrigley Field, standing with the groundlings at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre--is being with people who are poor in pretension and rich in love.
 
NASCAR news, coming right up!
 
rrl, no true troglodyte has ever used the word troglodyte, much less known what it means.
only high-falootin' snobs refer to any group of people as troglodytes.
admit it, when you go to nascar races, your shirt has sleeves, and you drink beer that starts with fancy words like "bud." i'm willing to bet, too, that you've never hurled a can, much less an invective at pat green's head.

http://www.tmz.com/2008/08/20/country-star-wants-cold-one-gets-cold-cocked/
 
"She had pursed lips and beautiful shoes."

That, my friend, is a sentence!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#