Wednesday, December 22, 2010

 

A different kind of snow


[ok, look, I was just looking for an excuse to post this picture of my niece, Alexa, sledding here in Grosse Pointe. Bear with me. You can click on the photo to enlarge it.]

For my ten years in Texas, coming to Michigan at Christmas was always a fascinating contrast between hot weather (it was 80+ in Waco yesterday) and the colder weather here. Going between Minneapolis and Detroit, though, the change is more subtle. The snow in Minnesota is pure and cold and light, unlike the hard-pack frozen slush that is more common in Detroit.

There is something about snow that is like the people I love the most: They both have the ability to change the way the world slowly through gentleness.

Comments:
Do you remember when Vernier Hill had a ski tow rope?
 
I am SO Jealous! I am still a little mad at my parents for moving us away from Ohio where it snowed all winter to Virginia where it does not.
 
Snow heading your way this weekend? We are slated for snow in Durham.
 
I was supposed to fly out of Newark to Houston yesterday at 3 PM. We spent 6 hours being treated like cattle (that the ranch hands did not particularly like) to find out that the earliest we can fly out is Thursday, from a different airport. My stepfather spent the day making the 2 hour drive from Newark to Pine Bush 4 times, between dropping us off and picking us up, on dangerous roads.


There is nothing gentle or good about snow, and if I never saw it again, that would be fine with me.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#