Sunday, August 15, 2010

 

Sunday Reflection: Pain


Apparently, breaking a bone can hurt a lot. I have never given birth, so I'm pretty sure that what I felt when I broke my ankle this week isn't as bad as it can get, but it was pretty bad.

Pain, physical pain, may be not the worst of things. After the break, but before the doctor set the ankle, the moving van came to my house from Texas. Sitting in my new house, surrounded by boxes but totally unable to move or unpack them, the awful helplessness made me feel a tiny bit of despair. Not a lot, just a little bit. That was overwhelming and awful and unfamiliar-- and it felt like a slippery slope into deeper negative feelings. It only lasted a moment (my life overall is pretty great), but that glimpse was a gift, a brief chance to see something and feel something that tears apart so many people.

Pain isn't the same as despair. I know many people who have suffered injuries or handicaps that cause great pain, but I never see a hint of despair in them. Conversely, I know many people who often despair, but rarely is this related to physical pain.

Despair seems much darker than pain. When I was lying on the ground right after the ankle gave out crying in excruciating pain, I was still able to laugh and even joke. Despair does not allow for such lightness, even in moments-- it is a dark blanket cast heavily over all of one's being.

Finally, it is easy to reconcile at least some forms of physical pain with a loving God. After all, pain is necessary, to tell us that something is terribly wrong with our body. Despair, however, seems apart from and contrary to the spirit of a loving God. One component of many people's despair is the sense of being forsaken-- by friends who don't call or write, by the world at large, and by God.

Pain is simple and secular. Despair is hard and spiritual. Perhaps that is why our culture is pretty good at "pain management," but not so great at "despair management."

Comments:
I don't understand despair. I guess I'm lucky; my life has been boring, dramatic, frustrating and infuriating at times, but I've never felt that sinking feeling you describe. Even on my worst days -- the days I cry because I want to go back to Waco -- I still can find a place of light, a joke, something. I've seen despair though. I have a relative who seemingly lives in depression. She's hard to be around (moreso as I get older), so I can't imagine what it's like for her to live like that all the time. I wish there was something I could do, but I don't know how.
 
It is like having a darkness hang over you all the time, regardless of the hour or the circumstance; when circumstances are actually bad, the darkness is worse. The darkness hangs over you, lives within you, and around you, and you just want it to cease, but it won't and you don't know what to do or not to do.
 
To Anon 9:24: I understand and I hope you know that there is a way out. Talk to someone, be open to medication, know that you will feel better. Sometimes it does not seem that way, but it can. We are all taught to raise our expectations but sometimes it is important to lower them. Living where you are in the situation you are in may be the "best" you can do. That is not necessarily wrong. Just don't give up. The darkness may linger but it can lighten. And the despair can slowly become less prevelant. I imagine you can't see it now, but there are people around you who would love to be your strength even though you are not strong enough.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#