Monday, May 10, 2010

 

Uh-oh! I kinda like Dallas...


For the past ten years, Dallas has been somewhat of a mystery to me. Austin, I get-- you hang around outside, let your hair go, enjoy life, have a hippie burger-- and I like it. But Dallas was a mystery. It struck me as big and corporate and impersonal. The green lights attached to the tall buildings seemed intended to attract aliens, and I didn't know where I was most of the time. As it turns out, I just wasn't going with the right people.

On Saturday, I drove up to Dallas with my dad to visit some galleries, and I finally saw a wonderfully human side of Dallas, and a new side of my dad.

First of all, the art scene in Dallas seemed much more vibrant and alive than the one in Austin (I went there on Friday with my dad for the same reason). Many of the Dallas galleries are on Dragon Street in the Design District, and somehow the aesthetics of that area suit Dallas in a wonderful way. It isn't a city street, really, like you would find in Chelsea or the West Village, or a new clean-scrubbed area. It has a certain grit to it. Dragon Street is a semi-industrial alley with hidden coves of beauty along the way. It reminded me of Detroit, in a way-- albeit, a more successful Detroit, but with a similar feel to the best and most creative parts of that city.

In the late afternoon we went to some galleries, had dinner at the Meddlesome Moth on Oak Lawn (pictured here), and then went back down Dragon later in the evening for some opening parties. We drank wine, laughed, and walked from party to party. In the course of this, I saw a part of my own father I had not truly seen in my forty-something years around him. I loved seeing him talk to other artists he did not know, exchanging stories with them. There was this wonderful bond he shared with other people who have a true passion for their subjects (and that is a sub-set of all artists); their conversations were electric with creative energy. We all admire our parents, but it is perhaps too rare that at this point in life we find new things to admire-- still, that is what happened on Saturday.

It was a wonderful evening.

And now I kinda like Dallas.

Comments:
Dallas has more culture. Austin has more stuff for nerds like me to do.

Point: Austin.
 
Glad you had a great day with your Dad.

I was struck during my visit to Dallas, that although sprawling, still had an intimate, smaller building feel when we went downtown.
 
Prof, next time you head up to Dallas, try a Thursday if possible. There's free jazz at the DMA and there's also free concerts now at the new AT&T Performing Arts Center on the lawn. The whole Arts District is blowing up with a new opera house, two new theatres, etc.

Check out http://www.thedallasartsdistrict.org/ for their events calendar.
 
The Traffic Museum on I-35 is especially enthralling. Oh wait, that's just sitting in traffic. Never mind.

For all the cool stuff of Dallas without all the hassle, try Ft. Worth.
 
Plus, Dallas has more cute girls....
 
"The green lights attached to the tall buildings seemed intended to attract aliens,...."

OMG SO funny! hahaha Thanks for a laugh this AM Osler.
 
I was in Dallas once for a friend's wedding and it reminded me of a mix between Troy, MI and Stamford, CT.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#