Sunday, March 14, 2010

 

Jesus and the rich man


Relative to the great majority of the world's population, I am rich. I have abundance compared to most of my fellow travelers, and the Bible makes it clear that this should be a challenge to my faith. I do struggle with the effects of that abundance upon my faith.

What's wrong with being rich? Jesus teaches that it is difficult for the rich to fulfill their faith, and tells the young ruler he must give away the riches he has (Mark 10:17-25). Interestingly, what Jesus condemns with the ruler is not so much having made the money, but not giving it away. This seems to recognize the value of what people like Bill Gates and Warren Buffett are doing.

James 5, however, seems to condemn getting rich in the first place, because it is built on the backs of others:

1Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming upon you. 2Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. 3Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days. 4Look! The wages you failed to pay the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty. 5You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter.[a] 6You have condemned and murdered innocent men, who were not opposing you.

Sigh.

So,what are we relatively rich people to do?

Comments:
I think that you and other professors might be an exception to that James passage, as you gain wealth by teaching others.

Just saying.
 
http://scriptures.lds.org/en/jacob/2 Go to this web address and read verses 12-19.
 
Dear Professor Osler,
I've set up a paypal account to take the burden off you. Expect a request for funds soon. Just sending me the cash will lift your spirits and likely keep my electricity on.

Regards
 
With all due respect to Micah, I don't think your teaching gig gets you off the hook.

I think the Puritan extrapolation here is constructive:

Prosperity is a blessing from God. Like any divine blessing, it requires good stewardship and humility; that is, money has a tendency to make people think they are smarter, more diligent, and more deserving than those with less. This attitude would be the sin of arrogance.

Also, if money is a gift from God, it should be used to advance the work of God (e.g., Gates and Buffet).

As you say, the Rich Young Ruler's reluctance to part with his money seems to have been the problem. Perhaps the "love of money" really is the root of all evil. Money is a problem if it gets in the way of doing what God would have us do.

Tough tension to maintain--but, money, according to this view, is no more of an obstacle to a right relationship with God and man than any other thing we might love and/or enjoy.
 
I'm not suggesting that teaching takes away the burden, I'm saying that he didn't acquire the wealth through hurting others, but through helping others.
 
Micah - I think there is tangible and intangible wealth gained through teaching.
 
It's hard to know how rich is rich . . . if I have a house but am in debt supporting my family, am I still rich?

If I am living in a rundown apartment with two families in one room, but people around me are living on the street, am I rich?

I think all anyone can do is maintain a keen awareness that others may not be as well off as we are, and if possible, to give away either our money or our skills, or some combination of both, to the greatest extent we can.
 
Micah:

I suppose what I am saying is that a rationalization to cast wealth in a saintly light may be the exact trap that we should avoid.

That is, I have this money because I am better than others (I have dedicated my life to helping people); therefore, I deserve my money much more than the factory owner who makes his workers toil for minimum wage.

Am I rich because God is so happy with me? Or, is my good fortune a blessing from God beyond what I deserve and a reason to be an instrument of God's love?
 
I think the Notorious B.I.G. sums it up in the title track of the second single from his posthmously released album Life After Death, Mo Money Mo Problems, featuring guest vocals by Sean "Puff Daddy" Combs and Ma$e.
 
I think that it really breaks down to those who believe that being better off in an earthly sense means that you are some how spiritually better off. There are quite a few people who believe that they actually are better than the poor, when in actuality wealth often divorces you from God. This is true with any thing that you hold higher than God, it is idol worship pure and simple. Jesus asks us to be servants, that in order to be first we must be last.

As far as the Bill Gates comment: Jesus also tells us that those who give out of their poverty truly give more. I've seen those with not enough to eat share what they have, this is truly more. While Gates has recently pledged to give up 85% of his wealth, the Bible also tells us that when we give we should do it so that it is done in secret (so that one hand does not know what the other is doing). If we get our accolades in this life through showy donation, we are not doing it for God.

Ramble done.
 
My (late to the party) thoughts:

Consider the context in which Jesus spoke. Who were the rich during his time? Those closely aligned with the oppressive forces within his society. For a religious leader concerned with a sort of populist rebellion against the entrenched social and political powers of the day, proselytization against the wealthy must've struck a chord.

On the religious level, Christ seems to be giving his usual ethical line: do not profit yourself through injury to others, whether materially or spiritually. A thread runs through Jesus' sermons that the righteous person is one who is humble, charitable and helpful -- not boastful, ostentatious or avaricious.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#