Sunday, March 28, 2010

 

Duke University Fact Sheet


Though I am leaving Baylor (which everyone now knows, since it turns out it was in the paper), I will always be a fan of both the school and its sports teams.

That means that right now I am obsessed with Duke, which plays the Baylor men today and women tomorrow in the Elite 8. I found out some interesting facts about Duke along the way!

1) Duke was founded by Bo ("Buck") Duke, an electricity magnate. A fierce commercial competitor to both C. Montgomery Burns and Leland Stanford, Duke was intensely jealous when the latter founded Leland Stanford Junior College (now a "Junior University") in Palo Alto, and desired to found a junior college of his own. In 1923, Duke's dream was realized with the founding of what is now Duke College. The original Nixon Hall (pictured here) now houses administration offices, remedial tutoring areas, and a dining hall.

2) Duke Junior College became a four-year school in 1973, and now offers degrees in Art, Fashion Merchandising, Law, Animals, and Drawing. It is accredited by the Southeastern Association of Middle, High, and Higher Schools.

3) Duke now enrolls nearly 3,000 students a year, of whom 1,200 are "provisional students." Famous Duke graduates include Richard Nixon, Ron Paul, Charlie Rose, and pop culture personality "Vern."

4) Duke participates in many sports, though due to its small size it is forced to compete in 6-man football, a rarity in Division I and a reason for its lack of success in that sport.

Comments:
For college basketball, my favorite teams have always been the following: Duke, North Carolina, and Michigan State.

I'm going to be cheering for Duke today. I'll also be cheering for MSU. MSU provides a double incentive for me, I went there and also grew up watching the Spartans.

It is interesting to me that people here are put off that I want Baylor to lose. To them, because I'm a student here, I should want Baylor to win. However, I'm a grad student so I don't feel connected with Baylor as a whole. I don't feel I owe them any loyalty. I had never even heard of Baylor until the school sent me literature. I grew up watching the Spartans, Tarheels, and Blue Devils. I think I'd be lying to the world and myself if I were to support Baylor.

I am really anxious to find out the results of the games between the men and women. It'll be pretty funny if Duke shuts down both teams in the same round.
 
Great school!
 
Duke sucks.

Also, what is up with the newspaper comments following that story?
 
Hey, quit trash talking the team from my new home town ~ Durham, NC. I'm with Lane: Duke sucks!

In N. Durham county we have a sport called "We hate Dukies". That is a sport only played on our property since we are surrounded by Duke employees. We count the days until the Dukies leave town for the summer and we always root against them in favor of who ever they are playing.

Also, having attended Grosse Pointe North I have never been a fan of any team called the Blue Devils (Grosse Pointe South).

Go BAYLOR!
 
2:06...

How can you possibly be a fan of both Duke and North Carolina? That's like me, as a Giants fan, also cheering for the Cowboys. That's like Robert Little, as a Baylor/Baylor grad, going to bed on Texas A&M sheets. It's like you saying that it would be "funny" if Duke beat both Baylor teams in the same round. None of the above scenarios make any sense at all.
 
I'm a fan of TALENT... something Baylor knows nothing about! hahaha
Final Four AGAIN!!!!
 
Hmm ... even this happens.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#