Tuesday, February 23, 2010

 

Teaching with Hulitt Gloer


There are good, bad, and middling days as a teacher. Believe me, too, we know it when things go well or we have a clunker of a day.

Yesterday's class in Oral Advocacy was a good one. I teach the class with one of my true heroes, Hulitt Gloer. We don't really plan it out too much-- I do a short introduction, he lectures on the material (this week, from Aristotle's On Rhetoric), and then I give a reaction which ties the ideas he has introduced to legal practice in its various manifestations. It's a risky structure, and requires a lot of trust between the two of us.

Sometimes, though, it really works, and I think yesterday was one of those days. We discussed the idea of logos in argument, and Hulitt laid down quite a challenge with the level of his discussion. At the last minute I ditched what I planned to say, and chose to apply his advice to a single hypothetical case. It flowed, and felt great. I love teaching, especially on a day like that.

If you would like to see a glimpse of the class, check out the class blog, where the students lay down their thoughts each week (go down one post to get this week's reflections).

Comments:
I left one on logos. I'll see if I can't get my thoughts on pathos down tomorrow.

Philosophy -- the stuff awesome is made of.
 
Best class at Baylor Law School, hands down. I only wish I'd taken it before PC.
 
I always thought awesome was made out of cigarettes, Jack Daniels, the into to "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" by the Rolling Stones, and the last three minutes of "Rocket Queen" by Guns 'n' Roses.

Then again, I could be confused.
 
RRL--

Aren't you two agreeing again? I mean... isn't all that stuff philosophy?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#